Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro 35 - no longer getting batter... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Electro 35 - no longer getting battery power? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Localtalent
Tinkerer
Username: Localtalent

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I resealed my Electro 35, replaced the POD, and put the yashica-guy battery adapter in. Scraped the paper off the + terminal of the battery compartment and cleaned both sides of the terminal contacts.

The camera worked great for a couple of rolls, then I went to shoot yesterday and the battery test light and the meter lights no longer work. I replaced the battery, still no dice.

What could be wrong? Where should I start troubleshooting?

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 23

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If neither the exposure circuit nor the battery test circuit is working, the problem may be with the connection at the top of the battery compartment, underneath the rangefinder. The white - (negative) wire soldered to the battery spring wire where it comes through the end of the compartment may be corroded or broken. See the photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nparsons13/7622332868/in/photostream.

Sometimes the power wires can be corroded for some distance up their length. One of mine required replacement of the entire wire from the battery terminal to the circuit board.

You'll need to remove the rangefinder to check the wire and the joint. The rangefinder is held on by two screws, one at the front left corner and the other on the inside near the rear lens.

Be careful not to overheat that solder joint if you resolder the white wire. You can easily melt the plastic of the battery compartment and loosen the spring wire.

Localtalent
Tinkerer
Username: Localtalent

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Unfortunately, I just loaded another 36 in there, might shoot it out at 1/500 before opening it up.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration