Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Isolette Focus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Isolette Focus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kengerace
Tinkerer
Username: Kengerace

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I have an Isolette I in rather nice condition. I have a question regarding the focus. My camera did indeed suffer from the dried lube curse. I freed the barrel and now the barrel turns freely but seems to not have any effect on the focus at all. Seems as though it is stuck on infinity. I took the entire assembly apart to see what’s what and found the three elements folks speak of but the front and middle are physically fastened to each other. When the barrel is turned it caused these two to move together in and out and had no effect on focus. However if I turn the camera up and just place the collar and middle lens in the opening in front of the shutter and then insert the barrel thus causing the middle element to remain stationary and moving in and out the front element, this indeed has an effect on the focus. I’m fairly certain this was not meant to work this way as once the barrel is tightened down to infinity is generally fastens the two pieces together and again the middle and front lenses are moving together not having an effect on focus again. What am I missing?

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I understand correctly you have not freed up
the focusing threads but you have unscrewed the
entire front lens group from the camera. This is
OK since you have to do that to get at the foc-
using threads.

Kengerace
Tinkerer
Username: Kengerace

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much you are absolutely right! I thought that was all one piece. I didn't know the focusing helical everyone was speaking of was farther up front still seized. I have located it and heated it up with a hair dryer as I have read here that seems to provide more success than soaking. I was able to free the focus helical, clean it, put it back together, and collimated the lens. Wow what a difference. Now I can see the focus making a difference. Thank you so much!!.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration