Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri 7s, How much of a pain is it to... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Petri 7s, How much of a pain is it to remove the lens assembly? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kareldc
Tinkerer
Username: Kareldc

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've gotten a Petri 7s, just because of the fact that it's insanely beautiful, the modernistic design is insane...

But I'd like to use it as well.

I noticed there is a little bit of "play" within the lens assembly. All the rings move like 0,05mm from each other. And the entire lens also moves 0,05mm independently from the body.

I think the camera works as is. But I'd like it to be solid as a rock.

Most of the screws were nearly loose on the rest of the camera body. Could that perhaps be the issue within the lens assembly. Just tighten the screws?

I was wondering how much of a pain it it to remove the lens assembly and to check it out. But I also don't want to ruin what ain't broken...

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,
K.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 183

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I repaired and used at least one Petri 7s many years ago. Don't think I still have it, though. But here's what I would do:

Re. the play in the whole shutter/lens assembly, I think this is typical of 1960s Japanese rangefinders in that the shutter/lens assembly is held onto the front of the camera (actually on a removable plate or panel) with a large threaded ring with 2 or 4 notches. That ring needs to be tightened. You need an adjustable lens spanner to tighten or remove this ring. Sometimes you can see this ring when you open the film door (but you probably can't get at it with the spanner with the shutter on the camera). Sometimes, there is a plastic or sheet metal cowl blocking your view.

You need to peel back the vinyl covering from the front to expose the (usually 4) screws that hold the front plate on the body. Remove the screws. Take the bottom plate off. There may be clips or screws to remove in the shuter linkage on the bottom. Then the whole plate comes off and you can get at the ring.

If there is too much play in the shutter speed and aperture rings, you go in from the front, as deep as the "wavy nut". The wavy nut probably has to be tightened a couple of notches. Search the repair articles on this site, and you'll see some photos and advice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration