Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Zuiko 50/1.4 - aperture blade... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus Zuiko 50/1.4 - aperture blades return slow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eurekaiv
Tinkerer
Username: Eurekaiv

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I had all the bugs worked out on the OM2 with 50/1.4 I picked up for peanuts recently but while re-foaming today, and just fiddling with it, I noticed the aperture blades on the lens aren't returning to full open easily. There's clearly no oil on the blades and they open/close fine with the aperture ring. I popped the back chrome part, with the mechanism for the dof preview and mount lock/release, off of the lens, and it's clear that the problem is in this area. Unfortunately, I can't see what could be wrong. There appears to be no gunk or goo in the ring, the spring seems fine and there's no signs of twisting or drop damage on this piece or anywhere else on the lens.

Here's a link to a vid showing the problem... any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5tDa8pRFYo

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most common problem with blades is dirt. Cleaning is the only solution in most cases. But try pouring in some lighter fluid after removing the optical elements. This is easier than opening and resassembling blades.

Eurekaiv
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The blades are fine... clean and moving freely with no issue. Perhaps I didn't explain it right. When you press the DOF preview button in, the lever that moves the aperture on the lens pushes the aperture closed, but does not return properly of its own accord, or returns very slowly. The video shows how this is happening.

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 54

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very common problem- only the mount levers need to be cleaned. Simple repair- take apart, clean with Shellite or similar, reassemble, put together. You might consider videoing the dis-assembly to make sure your reassembly is correct. Video wasn't available when I repaired Olympii.

Eurekaiv
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, great... I'll do just that. Thanks for the reply. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration