Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE2 replace shutter blades or f... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE2 replace shutter blades or fix electrical short? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stickb0y7
Tinkerer
Username: Stickb0y7

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, new here - this forum seems awesome. I hope a Nikon FE2 question isn't too modern...

I have 2 FE2s with different issues - my first one has damaged shutter blades (stuck finger through them accidentally) while everything else works great. My second one I got to replace it seems to have developed a short of some kind - the batteries die very quickly and the meter doesn't always work. I've since bought a 3rd, but was thinking about tinkering with the other 2 and possibly coming up with a working body.

I'm fairly mechanically/electrically inclined, however I haven't taken one of these apart before. My other option would just be to sell them as-is for parts, so no big loss if I can't fix them. Which task would be more likely to work? Take the working shutter parts out of one and put in the other, or determine the electrical issue on the 2nd one and possibly use parts from the first to fix that? And are there instructions available for doing either thing?

Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1222

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have notes for the shutter blade replacement, but they're for the FM2, which is a bit different from the FE2. I don't think I've ever taken an FE series camera apart (I'm a bit electrophobic)

Stickb0y7
Tinkerer
Username: Stickb0y7

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick, I wouldn't mind seeing those notes, might help in some way.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1225

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll reply with the notes.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 193

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,
Once you get the shutter removed from the FE2, replacing the blades in the shutter is very similar to the FM2. But while its fairly straightforward to remove the mirror box (which you will of course need to do in order to access the shutter) in the FM2, the FE2 is a bit tricky, with a bit of desolder work to do on many contact points. Perhaps the most delicate work on the FE2 disassembly is removing the meter assembly since it has a needle that protrudes into the mirror box and if not careful, you can bend the needle while re-installing or removing the galvanometer which is not good.
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration