Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agilux shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Agilux shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,just removed the shutter assembly from a 1955-59 Agifold rangefinder model,as the aperture blades have shifted.However,i cannot find a way into the shutter [a75mm f4.5 agilux anastigmat lens in what i believe is an AGI own make shutter]Any ideas please?

Johnnyh
Tinkerer
Username: Johnnyh

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look at the depth-of-field scale, in about the '4-o'clock' position you will find a small slot. This gives access to 3 grub screws in the focus ring as you turn it to place the 8, 4, Infinity positions successively by this slot. You may have to juggle the amount that you loosen these screws, so that on the one hand they clear the edges of the access slot, and on the other hand they clear the focus limit stop which is inside. To complicate matters, the focus ring is also on a thread inside the mounted housing with the depth-of-field scale.

Why on earth, I wonder, would AGI have devised such a fiddly, over-engineered design :-( ? Perhaps it's related to AGI's military contracts background. Such a system would discourage casual tampering, also it might be thought to be more dust-proof (Think sandy desert environments?) Who knows ...

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply.I eventually found exactly what you have just very clearly discribed.As you say AGI had military contracts during WW11,but how we won the war I will never know if our engineering standard was as poor as what I found when I got to the aperture blades.The reason they had dislodged was because the aluminium seating for the pivoting posts on them looked as if they had been drilled out by a DIY er with an electric drill.The holes varied in depth,distance apart and were too large.I have spent many hours reseting aperture blades in the past,but these ones were a joke.Even resorting to setting them in place with vaseline did not work![you flush out with lighter fuel when held in place] Another one for the bin:-} yes happy face.......I was glad to see the back of that one.

Johnnyh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I just found your original post as I had got started to doing my Agifold. At least my aperture blades seem OK - phew! But, although having done Compurs, Epsilons, Prontors ... I'm not looking forward to the shutter mechanism on this one - fancy, a two-blader with 1/350 on a mechanism otherwise as complex as this! :-(

Johnnyh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2012 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've posted an illustrated description here
http:[email protected]/sets/72157631912750015/

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 105

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2012 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some while ago I had an Agifold with the same problem -dislodged aperture blades. I've still got the leather bellows. The rest of the camera went into the bin.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration