Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Replacing Nikon FG shutter & mirror Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Replacing Nikon FG shutter & mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Citizennouveau
Tinkerer
Username: Citizennouveau

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do any of you kind souls have any notes or websites you can refer to me on replacing the shutter unit/blades & mirror on my FG? It seems like this may be a somewhat daunting task, but seeing as I have 2 non-working units I figured I might as well try to repair at least one of them. Thanks for any help!

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are better off getting a replacement body from eBay and selling the damaged units for parts. The FG has extensive flexible circuitry blocking access to the mechanical parts, and desoldering and resoldering this fragile structure is a tedious and error-prone job.

Stanblute
Tinkerer
Username: Stanblute

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're still interested in getting deep into the FG for the fun of it I have some advice. You need a magnifier, at least 5 power, and an electronic soldering iron to successfully do the micro soldering. You should spend 5 bucks to download the service manual - I think I got it at lensinc. Hovaness is right, the FG is a daunting project if you're not used to working on tiny circuits. If you decide to go ahead, I have a good shutter and mirror box I'd trade for a working flex circuit for the FG.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration