Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM2n speed dial goes past 1/4000 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FM2n speed dial goes past 1/4000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jirkain
Tinkerer
Username: Jirkain

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,
I recently acquired another FM2n. All looks good, everything works as it should.
I noticed just one weird thing when rotating speed dial button it's possible to turn it one more click past 1/4000 position. Is this by design? Anyone has FM2n with same behavior? To me it seems like they left there the X200 setting from original FM2

My FM2n is silver with serial number N845xxxx with aluminum shutter curtains.

Thanks!

Jirkain
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also I'm curious if your FM2n doesn't allow to turn shutter speed dial over the 1/4000.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 194

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter speed dial on the FM2n should stop at 1/4000. There is a quite solid part that prevents movement after 1/4000 on the shutter speed control assembly. If you can rotate the knob past 1/4000, you will see the X200 flash sync speed in the viewfinder which is a carryover from the original FM2. In all the hundreds of FM2n bodies that I have serviced, the original x200 marking is on the plastic film in the viewfinder, just not visible since the shutter speed knob is prevented from turning past 1/4000. In your case, perhaps the camera was an original FM2 and the speed indicator was replaced with an newer FM2n style-the internals would still allow the knob to go past 1/4000.

While your serial number is higher than the original FM2, I have replaced many top covers that were damaged from impact on original FM2 bodies and the new serial numbers were in the higher range such as yours...

Bill

Jirkain
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, thanks for your post. Is there any chance it's FM2n with that "solid part that prevents movement" removed?
In case it's original FM2 body also the shutter unit must be replaced - it's aluminum one.

I know all the external differences of FM2 vs. FM2n. As you have seen quite a lot of them is there any visible difference in mechanics inside the camera? Other words: am I able to tell my camera is original FM2 or FM2n by simply opening the top or bottom cover?

Jiri

Jirkain
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note: today I found on some wiki following text "FM2n mirror box was redesigned to add a light trap that flipped up when the mirror flipped down."

Is this statement true?

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jiri,
Yes, the information on the redesigned mirror box is correct, you can see the trap in the back of the mirror box on the bottom. But probably the easiest way to tell if you have a FM2n is to notice the mirror stop toward the front bottom of the mirror box- the FM2 does not have this part.

You could also check to see if the meter turns off when it goes past the 1/4000 mark as this is how the FM2 operated. In fact, that is one of the issues with the FM2 - the meter would turn off when put into X200 flash mode. Not good when you want to meter and use fill flash.

Here is a little know fact on the FM2- although the shutter dial is marked X200, 1/125 is marked in red on the shutter dial, and the Nikon instruction book tells you that 1/125 is the fastest flash sync speed, the camera will actually flash sync fine when used at 1/250!

fm2n

Jirkain
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, thanks again, really helpfull!
The mirror box has mirror stop as on your picture as well as the light trap at the bottom. When I turn the speed dial to "unknown" position the lightmeter does not switch off. X200 mark appears in the viewfinder.
So it must be FM2n but it has some internal issue with the assembly which prevents X200 position on speed dial knob.

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 197

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While this issue probably won't cause any problems for you, if you are curious as to what is causing this, it should be pretty simple to diagnose at this point. Removing the small pin face screw on top of the shutter speed knob is all the disassembly needed. The photos of the shutter speed control knob below show the two different types of stops used on the Nikon FM2 models. If you notice in the FM2 photo, the brass stop (at around 6 o'clock)is at a different position than the one in the FM2n photo. Probably no problem with this stop as it is pretty sturdy, but most likely the rotater tab, made of plastic, may be worn on the part that makes contact with the brass stop.

stop1stop1stop2

Jirkain
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks easy to fix. Probably I would not spend the effort on it as it is rather minor issue and - as you said - it won't cause me any problems. Thanks for help Bill!
Jiri

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration