Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa sticky rangefinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Agfa sticky rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 36

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Agfa Super Silette (mine has the Solagon 50mm 1:2 lens, Synchro-Compur shutter version) and the rangefinder "spot" is sticky in that, when I focus, the spot moves real slow if at all across the view. If you adjust slightly it doesn't move but if you go from infinity to close-up you can get it to move and it will stop at whatever you have it set. I have a feeling it's a common problem as the seller at the flea market had an identical Ansco variation with the same problem. I searched the forum but can't find anything
I found how to remove the top and adjust infinity but I'm not sure how or where to "lube" the sticky movement, if at all or is there another fix?

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I figured it out, on the Agfa Silette the rangefinder housing pops out easily after removing 3 screws, there is a sliding rod underneath that was gummed up. I have documented it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwrede/sets/72157631167797786/

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 355

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that didn't take long. I'd have used a grease for the lubrication though, as the oil will eventually run, and evaporate. I've read that differential grease is good for this sort of application. Can't wait to see the photos from it, Richard.

PF

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 186

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice repair documentation on flickr!

The reason I like the Super Silette/Memar and Karat/Karomat series is that they are well-made... AND I can fix them and (almost always) get them back together with my fairly simple set of tools.

The wind/advance mechanism is also not difficult to fix. The saw-tooth gear might need some light grease in its track.

The Solagon is a wonderful lens.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration