Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 Film Rewind Button Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon A-1 Film Rewind Button Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rinn
Tinkerer
Username: Rinn

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon A-1 I bought off eBay. It worked great for me for about a year & then out of nowhere the film rewind button got stuck in it's depressed position. I can't advance or press the shutter button while it's stuck in.

This has happened to me with two other Canon AE-1 models. Usually I just give up & buy a new one but since I've moved to the A-1 it's a bit more expensive & I'd rather save this one if I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't find any online!

Rinn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

UPDATE:

I managed to get the film rewind button unstuck. I poked a bit under the bottom cover. The button became unstuck which is good but now I can't fully advance & the shutter button doesn't set off the shutter.

Here's a photo of the part that when I moved it, released the stuck film advance button:

http://i48.tinypic.com/27yqt0o.jpg

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 204

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In looking at your photo, I can see that you are in the mid-cycle of your winding stroke so this is a mechanical problem. Very likely that something has come loose and is jamming the wind mechanism. If you don't see any issue under the bottom cover, then the next step is top cover removal and looking at the wind mechanism carefully ( I use a very bright light for examination). The first thing that I do is look at the screws holding the accessory shoe in place, often one or more get loose and fall into the mechanism (if this is the case, you might even be able to wiggle the accessory shoe a bit without taking the top cover off and this would confirm)
Bill

Rinn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your input. Something strange happened today. I had the camera sitting upside down on my desk for the past couple of days. I had the bottom plate in place but the screws were still out so I decided to just pop them back in for now. I did that & I thought to just try the shutter again. When I hit the shutter it worked! & I can advance! The only thing I can think is that because it was upside down, maybe something that was blocking it came loose? For the past year I've had it sitting right side up on a shelf. For now it's working but I sure hope it doesn't get caught again... I didn't see anything I thought looked out of place & now I'm pretty afraid to open it back up.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 205

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that sort of action would be consistent with a loose part floating around in the camera. If it is a loose bit, might work well for quite a while as the offender lurks in a corner and then when you least expect it, gravity takes it someplace it should not be and you are locked up again!
Bill

Rinn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I'm going to check out the top like you suggested since I haven't done that before.

Rinn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started to disassemble the top. I got to the point of having to remove the advance lever but decided to stop since I don't understand how to remove it. I haven't done this before & I don't think I have the right tools.
I was using this tutorial: http://looscanons.com/tutorials/tutA1/index2.html

Thanks for your help. I think I should just leave it until it actually stops working again. :-)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1233

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As cheap as good 35mm SLRs are getting any more, you might want to start keeping your eye out for a replacement. Among other things, with a second body you'll have more courage to take a shot at opening this one up.

Rinn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick! I ended up ordering another for real cheap. $80 for the body, I think that's a great deal considering these are always over $100 on eBay. I'll keep that on backup.

Maybe you can help me, I just have no idea how to get the film advance lever off. Image here: http://cl.ly/JKqc Maybe you know what tool will remove it? I don't understand those two little holes. Hah. Thanks so much.

Erin

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 58

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best way to remove it is using a rubber pad, this will not mark it, you could use needle pointed pliers, but you stand a good chance of it slipping and marking the top.
With a rubber pad it turns anti-clockwise is best.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration