Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD-11 shutter problem. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XD-11 shutter problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 41

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta XD-11 in good working condition, but I havnt been using it for quite long time. The camrea was fully functional except that the rear set of blades were sticky and I noticed a gap between curtains when winding.

I am quite familer with the internals of this camera , so I opened and cleaned both sets of blades. There were traces of some oily spots that made them sticking.

On reaseembly every thing was alright but suddenly shutter started firing at the fastest speed, in all modes( electronic, x, O and B). The problem vanishes on it own as I try and re appears. some times by hitting the bottom to give a jolt or some times simply by changing the orientaion of the body.

Any idea what could be the problem? Since it happenes in all modes I am unable to imagine the cause. Can ne one help me with this? though I dont plan to use this camera ne more I still want it to be in good working condition.

Thanks in advance.

Thepurush
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have solved the problem. To know why I tookout the shuuter assembly, and the blades. I discovered that the closing blade drive pin wast at all getting latched. There fore as soon as the opening blade set dropped down the closing blade set followed it. After a lot of searrch I hve discovred that ther was a thin bush on the closing blade drive pin which didnt allow this pin to reach its end postion to get latched. The amount of missing travel was abt 0,2 mm but it prevented it from getting latched. On removing this every thing worked fine.
But now I have a new problem. Where does this belong to. It was always there every time i opened shuuter blades and I have always left it on one of the driving pins as it fits thre only. But this time I happened to put iton closing bladde driving pin and it created the pproblem.

In any case, if ne one can tel me what this small cylindrical washer belong to? . Without I see no problem why he shutter shouldnt work?

Thepurush
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well thre were more surprises. This tiny thing what I called washer, is actually a bush sitting on blade drive pins. Surprisingly the problem disappeared after dispensing with the bush but reappeared again. I found the 2nd bush too. Each time I found one I was under impression that I was finding one. ut indeed it was this bush that was cause of the problem.

In the end here are my conclusions abt the whole episode. Ther are actually 2 bushes on each pin, but these are below the blades themselves and also below t main support plate. So long as they they dont slide into the groove in the main plate where the pins move thre is no problem in latching of closing blades. So I placed them back one on each pin and completed blade assemby. The camera works perfecly well.

The trouble started because when i cleanined the blades I saw pone bush falliong down, whiuch i placed it back on pin thinking thre is only one and the otre is missing. But actually i must have placed it on the pin where already thre is a bush below it. SInce the 2nd bush on same pin will naturally be in the slot in which pin travels it wastn allowing it to reach the end, hence the problem.

Surprisingly even in the repair manual ther is no mention of thse bushes and the purpose isn't clear. They sit on the pions at the very bottom and do not extend in to the slot.

Did any one faced ne such situation with the3se bushes?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 363

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Luckily, I've not had to tear down a shutter on an X-11, but this is good information to know. Thanks for sharing.

PF

Thepurush
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please note that there is just one bush on each pin and not 2 as mentioned.

For any one having to open to top cover of Minolta XD-11 or similar, please remember to close the eye piece blind before u lift t cover off. There are sharp edged levers behind the actuating lever that will tear a part of flex circuite whil. Same precaution aplies while replacing the cover back.On reasembly , if your camera operates but LEDs wont light up, then your flex is already damaged.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration