Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica SII winder problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Konica SII winder problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Milosdevino
Tinkerer
Username: Milosdevino

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone on this forum had much experience with this particular camera? There seems to be a wealth of information on "Auto SII's" but none as far as I can tell on this particular model. Here is a picture of it, not my one but it's identical
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jyrkalypse/3321659778/. There is a small amount of information on the web in English and more in Japanese, but nothing that is of any use to me with this issue.
Apparently the lens is really good, but I have not been able to use it because of this problem. The stop on the winder will not engage but will allow me to keep winding through the whole roll of film.
Determined to get to the bottom of this, I removed the top cover and re attached the winder arm to test it. It worked properly, i.e stopped winding after each shot. Great,I thought, must have just been some dirt which I had dislodged and now it works. So I replaced the top cover and it returned to it's old behaviour. Thinking it must be some part of the cover interfering with the mechanism, I removed it and carefully examined it for scratches or wear marks on the inside which would indicate a part rubbing, but to no avail.
The frustrating part is that it only goes wrong when the cover is on and I can't see what's going wrong.Following some advice from here on stuck Auto SII's, I removed the bottom cover, but it all seems to be in order down there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recomend you try not asembling the screws on top cover. In all probablity it should work. In any case what is presented below shd be helful.

In any camera when you complete winding and bring back the wind shaft to its normal position, ther is a small pawl that is pushed in to place to stop the wind shaft from winding again. When you press the shutter release fully this pawl is relased and you can wind again.

Keeping this in mind you should trouble shoot this problem. The part mentioned can be found in the bottom in most a SLRs and in top in most rangefinders. Do not presume no one has opened the top cover and meddeled with some thing. It is posible the spring pushin/releasing pawl might have not been aseembled back properly or might have been dislocated. In your case since the problem disappears as soon as you put back the cover, examine carefully, particularly the front part.

It is also posible that some screw fixing top cover is too long and is interfearing with the pawl.

Closeup photos of both bottom and top showing everything related to wind mechanism shoud help readers solve your problem more easily.

Milosdevino
Tinkerer
Username: Milosdevino

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice. I have had another go at it and yes, you're right someone has been there before me. I knew they had been in the shutter mechanism because that was a mess when I got the camera, but I didn't think they had been under the top cover. I think that they have added an extra washer to the bottom of the shutter release button which keeps it from popping up ever so slightly. This stops the interlock from engaging and enables the winder to be wound on ad infinitum. This explains why it only malfunctions with the top cover in place, as the cover restrains the button and stops it popping up fully. Just to make my life more interesting, the shutter is now malfunctioning, so there is a long way to go till I can use it yet

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration