Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Setting lens back to infinity Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Setting lens back to infinity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bowleo
Tinkerer
Username: Bowleo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, im new and was wondering if someone could help?
I bought an old Ilford Sportsman (the very first model) and when i received it the shutter was jammed. So i took the front panel and lenses apart and fixed the shutter and gave the lenses a good clean.
However upon reassembling the camera I realised i had taken the front lens off, and now have messed up the focusing of the camera. When screwing this lens back on, how do i set the focus back to infinity etc so the focus is how it should be, and coincides with the focusing ring. Basically im not sure how to reassembly the front lens back so it is in focus. Help me please? :-( haha. Thanks alot.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1229

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will need some sort of a groundglass to set across the film rails to focus on - a strip of Scotch Magic Tape will actually do nicely if stretched taut. For an infinity target, you can go outdoors and aim the camera at a very distant but easily focused object, such as a water tower or a building (traffic lights work well at night) .... or, you can stay indoors and use another camera to create a perfect infinity target. This method is discussed at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html

The biggest advantage of staying indoors is the risk of dropping a small part or tool outdoors while working.

Bowleo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did see this method before posting on here and tried it, however it always seemed blurry and never seemed to properly focus onto the view point of the slr. What do you mean by groundglass? sorry im very new to this whole camera bizz :-)

Bowleo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im also confused by the method, if you could explain in a little more detail for me that would be brilliant :-) thank you for your help

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1230

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you would do better to just go outdoors and aim at a distant building. I assume your camera has front-cell focusing, with the focusing scale attached to the lens with set screws; with this ring removed, turn the lens until the image is sharp on the groundglass in the film plane (you will need at least 5X magnification to see this adequately). Then, set the focusing scale ring in place carefully in the infinity position, without upsetting the lens adjustment, and tighten the set screws. Your focus is now set correctly.

The indoor method is identical, except that you are using another camera to create the infinity target: a groundglass with a mark scribed on it, set in the film plane of a camera, will appear to be at infinity when viewed through that camera's lens when that lens is correctly set at infinity. With it set up this way, you can aim your subject camera's lens into the second camera's lens, and adjust it until the image of the mark on the second camera's groundglass appears sharp on a groundglass in your subject camera (again, you need at least 5X magnification for accuracy). When BOTH lenses are set exactly at infinity, the target in the film plane of one will be sharp in the film plane of the second. One caution: the lens of the target camera must be correctly set at infinity. Any deviation from infinity in that camera will become focus error in your adjustment of the subject camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration