Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Nettar 518/2 : won't open fully... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Nettar 518/2 : won't open fully « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jesse
Tinkerer
Username: Jesse

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have a 518/2 which appears to be in excellent condition. The camera opens about 50mm and won't release past that point. It also won't close fully. Is there some way to get it fully open? I would be thankful for any advice.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 225

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It should open normally although it will not go to its fully unfolded position automaticly. You have to open the last part manually.

It could be that some part sticking out of the shutter got hooked somewhere. So reach inside the opening and try carefully to move the shutter, it is not locked at that stage so you should be able to swivel it up/down a bit.

You could also take a flashlight and see where the shutter (or something else) gets stuck.

Jesse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Hanskerensky
Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes, I know about manually opening it after the first bit pops out but it is stuck in that position. I have tried to see if something is catching and holding it back but nothing obvious that I can see. The bellows are in excellent condition and I'm a bit concerned not to damage them. I have pulled it out as far as it will go without damaging anything. Perhaps the top plate needs to be removed? I hope not! Can you think of anything else? Kind regards, Jesse

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 226

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jesse, did you try move the shutter/lens through the gap that you have ? Does it move at all ?

Only other thing that i can think of is that the struts are not functioning properly. Removing the top is not necessary, everything concerning this sits on front of the camera inside the bellows bay.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 227

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing which just came to my mind, is the frontlens at the infinity position (as far inside the shutter as possible) ?

If not try to turn it clockwise through the gap that you have.

Jesse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Hanskerensky
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I can reach the lens and can change the focus but still does not open. I can see the struts clearly but I can't move the shutter/lens through the gap. The gap is wide enough to pull it through but it won't come through, even with considerable pushing/pulling. There is nothing I can see through the gap that may be holding it at that point. I have used enough force to just about damage it and I'm reluctant to use more force. It is frustrating as it is so near the point where it would fully open.
I will try some more careful pushing/pulling. Thank you again.

Jesse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again
I have managed to free it and it's now open :-)
I think it was the shutter release as it was bent slightly downwards. Thank you for your time and suggestions. Regards..

Jesse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And now..for the next question! The button that allows the camera to open does not return once the camera has been opened. It seems as though there should be a spring to push back the button once it has opened the camera but it stays down, nearly flush with the top plate. Do you know if there is a spring beneath the top plate that pulls the button back once the camera has been opened?

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 228

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good that you managed to open it Jesse.

Now about your question.
That button drives a latch sitting just underneath it inside the bellows bay. Maybe the spring underneath that button is still allright but it is the latch that meets some resistance (dirt, corossion, bent metal). First check that latch before removing the topcover.

I just tried this out on my 518/2 and indeed, when i hold that latch in its lower position the pushbutton also stays down.

The spring underneath the pushbutton will probably follow about the same design as that on my Signal Nettar :
Signal Nettar Frontdoor Pushbutton

Jesse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2012 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Hanskerensky
Thank you for that, I found that the latch was stuck and I eased it up with a tiny drop of super-10. It is now perfect.:-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration