Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

NIKON FM2n , after uplifting +looseni... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » NIKON FM2n , after uplifting +loosening the rewind film crank... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gemgemhk
Tinkerer
Username: Gemgemhk

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2012 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the underneath fork like rod dropped down, I accidentaly closed the cam back and could'nt open it again. Appreciate very much if some experts can tell me what I should do, thanks a lot.

Gemgemhk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now a 3mm hole was seen on the film rewind crank position, is it possible to use something like a toothpick thing to press something down inside to re-open the cam back ?

If not that easy, then top cover needs to be lifted? If so,
1. Is first to unscrew the film advance lever collar anticlockwise?
2.next to unscrew the shutter release button collar , also anticlockwise?
3.then lastly, the shutter speed dial knurled knob and I really don't wish to touch it. If so, what is the minimum to do on this knob because a. its top center got to use a wrench spanner to unscrew it out then b. 3 tiny screw at its side needs to be unscrewed too. I am afraid some springs underneath will jump out or washer or lever will dislocate once I uplift the knob. Therefore I would be grateful if some veterans here can tell me know in advance the risks before I do anything. once again thanks very much.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 57

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

What you need it something like a paper clip,straighten it out, and then bend a small hook on the end of it. About 5mm should do it, close the hook up so that it will fit down the rewind shaft.
Then use the hook to pull upwards to release the door, it may take a number of attempts to get the right postion. But it does work.

Gemgemhk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr. Willcott, thanks for your kind advice.
If I failed, I may message you with pics. thanks a lot again because I worry very much about money spent to repair it, the repair fee here really goes to usd100.00 each service time.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1234

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a crochet hook for this. The method is the same as with the paper clip above, it's just a stronger tool. Feel around inside the left-hand side of the shaft hole (toward the end of the camera), about 10-12mm below the top surface, to find the ledge to pull up on to release the back.

Gemgemhk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

an hour ago, I used a paper clip and straighten it out, measure 5mm from one end and used a clamp to bend a small hook and fit down the rewind shaft, then pulled upwards like fishing, and at same time my left hand holding the cam with index finger kept pushing the cam door lock lever in the arrow direction per the small black disc on top, so if I pulled it right, the cam door wwould bounce open. Well, do you have any idea at which o'clock postion would be the best position to pull the hook upward? say 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock position? 2. what should I feel when pulling up the hook at the right position, should I feel like pulling up a latch? or click into a slot or a hole? because I have no idea about its design 3. The thickness(diameter) of my paper clip wire is 1.5mm, is it OK? not too thick?. sorry bothering so much, thanks ur kind reply.

Gemgemhk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Rick Oleson, thanks for your kind info. which just arrives in time. I now go to try and will tell the outcome . thanks. bye now.

Gemgemhk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tomorrow I go to buy a crochet hook which should be more accurate and try again.now already 2am after midnight in HK here. go to sleep now bye and thanks

Gemgemhk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before I go to bed, I just done the last try by using the paper clip hook as told by Mr.Willcott and the direction/ledge feel as told by Mr.Oleson, well, it was done, ok , the cam door bounced open, now I can sleep well. many thanks for both gentlemen and wish you all the best and enjoy your time in this website, and I appreciate the existence of this site here. My best regards to everybody, wish you guys all the success and good health.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration