Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax RTS shutter doesn'T work Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contax RTS shutter doesn'T work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gregorb
Tinkerer
Username: Gregorb

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice evening all together,
I've got a a Contax RTS made by Yashica.
The Problem is, the shutter doesn'nt work, the power LED also.
When I put power onto the connector for the xternal batteriepack, at least the powerindicator LED will work.
The shutter wont.

Because I'm a student and so have no money ;-) don't want to give the camera into service.
I'd de able and handy enough to repair it myself, the problem I have is, that I don't know how to disamble the camera.
So I'd like to know if any one of you has service manuals for the camera and would be kind to send them to me?

I'd really like to photograph with this camera, so please help me if you can.

Yours,
Gregor

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with the external battery pack, but when you press the button on the right side of the back of the top cover, does the red LED light on top come on? Is the film advance lever cocked?

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 75

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I know, the RTS does not have connector for an external battery pack - unless you have the adapter that fits into the battery chamber.
If this is not the case, where did you connect the external battery?

Ciao,

Dirk

Gregorb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Jeff, wehen I insert a batterry into the battery compartment an the press the button the LED won't light up.
If I power up the camera via the connector for the externeal powerpack, the LED will light up, but the shutter wont release.
Th advance lever is cocked.
I'v already opened the baseplate of the camera, when I push on the lever of the coil which should operate the shutter, the shutter clicks and I can push the advance lever once more.
And so on. When I push the lever on the coil the shutter will work, i can wind one "picture" further and so on.

@Dirbel, I'm talking of the 3 pin connector on the right side of the camerabody:
http://images.wikia.com/camerapedia/images/7/74/Contax_RTS_II_04.jpg (picture only borrowed from http://images.wikia.com/ I'm not the owner of images rights to this picture!)
2 of the pins are connected to the battery compartement. At least this is what my multimeter says ;-)
Ahm, I didn't use the original external battery I used a adjustable power supply. (voltage was correct also the current limmited)

Greetings,
Gregor

Dirbel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 76

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 3 pin connector is for the winder. I just verified that the camera needs its own battery even when the winder is connected.

The only easy things I can think of are:
the battery you put in the camera is empty
wrong polarity of the battery - try it the other way round

Ciao,

Dirk

Gregorb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dirbel,
interesting to know that the battery's needed when the winder is attatched.
The problem is, that the shutter doesn't work even when the camera is powerd only by the battery.
If desoldered the two wires to the "shuttercoil" and powered it with 4,5V out of batteries. The coil works and the shutter releases.
So a service manual would help me very much, so tha I could desamble the body.

Gregor

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 70

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is the original RTS model, have you tried releasing the shutter with the self timer or the external shutter release (both electronic)?

Gregorb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@ Michael,
thanks for the hint.
If i press the battery lid onto the battery without the bodys lower cover, th shuter will work, if i install the lower cover (as like in normal operation with the camera) the shuter won't work.
Outcome... there has to be some connection between circuitry and the lower cover whichs shortens the circuit so the shutter won't work.

I'l try to insulate the PCB (actual the only place where a short circuit can apper in this area in my thought) with a little strap of capton tape.

If this is the solution to the problem, I'l post it ;-)

Gregor

Gregorb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAHA, YES!!!
Problem solfed.
The camea works just fine.

The main problem was the oxidised negative pole of the battery compartement.
I cleaned it with a rotary brush and now...
Back in service.

Thanks all for your help.

Gregor

Gregorb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn...

the shutter works fine, I 'v allready done one film.
When i wanted to rewinde the exposed film, I noticed, that te winder lever doesn't work properly.

When I wind, the handle turns endles without winding up the film.

only when i push my thump or any finger on the middle of the knob and turn, it will wind the film, but not really good.

Has anybody an idea, what could cause this problem?

Yours,
Gregor

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 400

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After you get your film out, look at the fork on the rewinder shaft. Make sure the tines are not broken off.

PF

Gregorb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Br1078lum,
the tines aren't broken off.
The problem is the knob itself.
When the lever's layed down it should rotate freely, when pulled up to rewind it ligically should not so that you can wind up the film.

But mine rotates freely all the time.

No missing parts obviosly, has anybody a picture of a working knob?

Yours
Gregor

Dirbel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There should be a small pin in the center of the rewind knob. This pin is held down by the rewind handle when it's folded in.
The pin is spring loaded and should pop up when you turn the rewind handle.

Dirk

Gregorb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AH, thought of that.
The spring is missing.

Dirbel, do you also know where the spring is locatet? I think inside the winderrod or?

Gregor

Dirbel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that's where the spring is supposed to be.

Dirk

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration