Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica MTL 5B and Minolta XD7 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Praktica MTL 5B and Minolta XD7 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rosswald
Tinkerer
Username: Rosswald

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have a Praktica MTL 5B in very good cosmetical condition, and mechanically it is flawless. Light meter works, but the carbon axle (as I found out from the repairman) which leads from exposure/iso knob down to the lightmeter contacts at the bottom - snapped, so the light meter is stuck at one exposure/iso setting and reacts only on aperture changes. Now what I need to know is do every Praktica from that series employ the same light-meter mechanism? Since old prakticas are dime a dozen, I thought of acquiring one broken and/or in bad shape but with working lightmeter and canibalizing it for the parts.
P.S. I also own a Revue ML (it's the same MTL 5/5B series, only rebranded), which is fully functional, but I prefer the chrome looks of MTL 5B (Revue is black).

Also, a condensator on the bottom of Minolta XD7 needs to be replaced, because it controls lightmeter and shutter coupling. The same repairman told me they're hard to find (you can find the same capacity, but they won't fit because of their size). Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and are similar condensators available somewhere online?

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 51

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in India and way back in 1981, exactly the same thing happened with my friends camera. I found that the plastic gear at the bottom had sheard off.
finding a part of was impossible in Indian market those days(even today). So I wrote to the company attaching a sketch of the part. promptly after a year I recived the same part free of charge from the company. I cdould restore the camera.

But the service from the company was simply uncomparable to any thing even today within the country. Hats off to Pentacon. My friend sold the camera off but the 135 mm tele lense which belonged to the same camera is now with me and I use it on my NEX.

If the old practicas are so cheap and you have 2 cameras to be maintained , is it not worth buying a parts camera?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 402

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx sells five-packs of condensors for Minolta cameras, but they are the can type. You have to find a spot inside the camera to stuff them, and run wires to the location of the old one.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration