Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon EOS XTi Rebel 400D Memory Card ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon EOS XTi Rebel 400D Memory Card Reader Replacement. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Satycorn
Tinkerer
Username: Satycorn

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if I write to much, it's just that I'm worried and really sad and I don't know what to do. I bought my mother this camera on eBay because she loves Photography and today I got the camera. The camera was shipped to a cousin of mine first and then she shipped it to me because I live in Europe and the seller only shipped in the US. I got the camera and the dents/mini "teeth" that are inside the slot of the memory card are damaged, two of them. The camera is working fine and looks like new but it says CF Card Error. It doesn't read the memory card. I messaged the seller but he says he doesn't take responsibility for it because it was working when he shipped it.
I was saving forever for this camera and I'm a student, so I need to fix it. I found the part online (http://www.darntoothysam.com/products/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-XTi-400D-Compact-F lash-CF-Card-Reader.html), is it a simple piece to replace? Can I do it by myself? I don't wanna spend more money. I also got an older brother who has had his own store where he fixed computers etc and got really popular in town, maybe he can fix it? Or is it something completely new even for computer geeks? How hard is it to replace? I didn't find any video on Youtube about it... Do I need any special tool for this?
Sorry for the questions, I'm just really frustrated and don't know what to do first :-(... Thanks.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1238

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is that this is not a DIY project unless you're cool with the idea of replacing the camera after the attempt. Back when the 400D was still current, the charge for this job was about $260 at a Canon service center in the US.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 376

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it hasn't been too long, go through eBay to get some help on replacement/refund. But then because it was trans-shipped to you, that might void any responsibility of the seller, as your cousin possibly could have caused the damage before sending it to you (not saying she did, but that is what the seller and eBay might claim). And you not being at the original shipping address just compounds the issue.

Digital cameras aren't constructed like mechanical cameras, and to get to the part you want to replace may mean a complete dismantling of the camera. Precise soldering, and recalibrating will be involved in the reassembly, and that means access to bench testers is neccessary. Or you could luck out and the part is right close to the surface, and easy to replace. My vote is for the former. And besides, you will need some JIS screwdrivers, and the knowledge of what ever solvent is needed to release the locking glue the manufacture is known to use.

These things weren't designed for the casual repair job.

PF

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my, really? I'll go seek expert's help then, but really, is it going to cost me $200 for that :-(? Just when I thought I had some hope...

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 215

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to eBay. File "item not as described" complaint. Get refund. How hard is that? People do it to me all the time. Oops. :-)

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really want to do that, but does the fact that the item was shipped to my cousin first and then to me affect the complaint? I'm freaking out, seriously...
The seller told me today that I can open a case if I want to because they have contacted eBay and eBay told them that they have enough proof to be by her side and help her win the case. Is she doing this to scare me or what?

Finnegan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 216

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like hooey to me. Buyers abuse the heck out of the eBay grievance process all the time. What does it matter if the item was forwarded elsewhere after arrival? I had a guy in Belgium bust my chops after a camera was sent to his friend in the States and forwarded. The only way you can get beat is if you wait past 45 days after the purchase date (eBay) or 60 days (PayPal).

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1239

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This damage DID NOT happen in transit. It happened when someone inserted a CF card carelessly.

(PS: did you read the "Please Note" line on that ad for the CF card reader pinset? He makes it sound much more difficult than I had expected it to be when I first said it was not a DIY project.)

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know guys, right! I'm doing everything I can and she says that the whole story made her feel uncomfortable and that she talked to eBay and they tell her she has enough proof to support her side. Really?...
Also yes, I was the one who inserted the card and I read it VERY carefully, I read the whole English part of the manual before using the camera, even if I didn't I tried it after noticing the damaged dents that if you even try to put the card in the wrong position (I did this GENTLY) the card would go halfway and not even go to the bottom.
I'm new to eBay, so should I open a case on eBay right, not on Paypal? Or both? IDK...

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 377

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You never know about eBay until you try. And the seller could be bluffing you into going past the 45 day limit. Do you have the item number so that one can look at the original auction page?

PF

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I do. Do you want me to give you the link of it?

Finnegan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 217

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is an honest problem, make the claim on eBay. eBay freezes the funds on PayPal until everything is resolved. You eventually have to return the item if you want a total refund so figure if the back and forth shipping adds up to too much. You can also request only a percentage of the cash back if you want to get it repaired.

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I swear I'm being honest. I think about this every minute and I freak out more as time passes by.
I know that, of course that I'll have to return the item. The seller doesn't accept to even buy the part herself, it costs about $20, but I hope I'll get this solved within eBay. Do you have any idea if it's gonna ask me during the case I'll open whether the item has been sent to a different address and then to me?
Thanks so much you guys.

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the link of it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-XTi-400D-10-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Cam era-Silver-/170888619861?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=tru e&si=BwaHmlJ6505uEgVWAenQ0sx3RUk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Also someone on Youtube is mentioning that eBay buyer protection is automatic. What does that mean :S?

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the link of it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-XTi-400D-10-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Cam era-Silver-/170888619861?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=tru e&si=BwaHmlJ6505uEgVWAenQ0sx3RUk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Also someone on Youtube is mentioning that eBay buyer protection is automatic. What does that mean :S?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 206

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the auction ended on August 7, I would immediately file a "not as described" case since you only have 45 days to file. The fact that the seller said no returns is not significant since the item was not as described. Nothing to lose a lot to gain.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1240

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a curiosity question: the listing says a CF card was included. Was the card not already in the camera when it arrived to you? If I was selling a camera with a CF card, I would have shipped it with the card in place.... that would be proof that the camera was undamaged and working at arrival. The card being separate is not proof that the camera was damaged, but it raises the possibility.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 379

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better run to the phone and call eBay NOW! Not much time left. And the listing says the item is covered by Buyer Protection.

PF

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not much help here now, but I'm quite impressed with the genuine desire to help Satycorn with a camera that is clearly not a "classic camera".

For what its worth, I think we've all been in the position of both buyer and seller here. But I like to think that we (Classic Camera Repair Forum) are pretty decent folk and behave accordingly. Personally, I've had the most positive experiences with the people here.

I guess I'm gushing now. I just couldn't help but give kudos to those who deserve them.

Good luck Satycorn!

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot guys.
Yes, the auction ended on August 17th and said it would arrive on August 27th to my cousin's address.
And yes the CF Card was packed separately, it wasn't inside the camera!!
Oh and also, I live in Europe, in Albania as I stated above. I tried calling eBay once about this but it said number can't be reached or something like this. I'll try again though. Do any of you know if it's free of charge, or the number is available for US citizen's only?
Would going through the case-opening procedure help me the same way?
Will it ask me there for details or what?
I'll do this today ASAP.
Thanks a lot again.

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 207

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, you can open a case easily without calling ebay. Just go to the resolution center on ebay and enter the item number. Or, even easier, go to items purchased in my ebay, on the right hand side there is a column labeled actions, and click on "resolve a problem"

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

^Yup, that's what I was talking about, thanks.
I've never done this, will this ask me if the item was forwarded to me? What will it actually ask me for? I really fear that the seller might've plotted me and told something to eBay already :-(...

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 208

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You won't be asked about the package being forwarded to you. You will be given a space to briefly describe the issue you are having. Just be straightforward and tell how the camera is damaged. At this point, I would not worry about what the seller may or may not have said to ebay.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 383

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just do it. Everyday you delay just means less chance of getting things resolved. And don't worry about what the seller told you, they are bluffing.

PF

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay guys so I opened the case today. I explained everything honestly. One more thing, it asked me what do you want from eBay, whether a full refund, or you still want the item from the seller, or Other.
I would type "I want the seller to buy the replacement part for me and cover the whole job costs, if not then a full refund", but the gap there didn't even allow me to type 1/4 of this sentence so I went ahead and clicked on full refund. Will this make things harder, I mean would eBay find it easier to tell the seller to just pay for the replacement part?
Thanks a lot, I'm crossing my fingers in Hope and I'll let everyone know :-)

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update.
So the seller replied, and her message basically was:
"On August 26 I got a message stating that he had not received the camera. I found this odd because my postal receipt showed that it was delivered on August 13, almost 2 weeks prior. On August 30 he responded saying there was an error in his address at the post office, but he had received it. I did not hear anything from him until Sept. 15 (over 2 weeks later). He then claimed he actually lived in Europe and he had listed his shipping address as Ohio, where he says a relative picked up the package and then shipped to Albania. I purposefully do not ship out of the United States, and would never have agreed to ship it to him had I known he would be having someone else mail it overseas. I have no way of knowing how it was packaged or shipped to Albania, and if it could have been damaged during transit. The camera was in perfect working condition the day I mailed it. No problems with the CF card or slot. It has been a month and he could have damaged the camera himself in that time."
About the error at the postal office, the only error was that they had their tickets mixed up and went I went there they couldn't find mine.
eBay is telling me that if I'm not satisfied with the solution I should message the seller with a solution I'd like.
But really there was no solution in the seller's message, what is eBay trying to say :-(? What should I do? :-(... Should I mention that on the description of the listing there was no picture of the camera in working condition/turned on, or will that be held against me?

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Edit: REALLY, the problem now that I remember is that the seller had reversed the address (it was 112/1 and she put something like 21/1) and that's why they had no retrieving ticket for us, the cousin had to get a bill to confirm where she lived and if it wasn't for her cellphone number that I had listed on my shipping address we would've never gotten the camera.
Now that the seller brought up the cousin topic, should I say anything more about it that the fact that I just mentioned, or will eBay totally go on the seller's side?
help :-( :/...

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 210

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this was my situation, I would simply say that I want to return the camera for a refund due to the fact that it arrived broken and is inoperative.

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She keps saying that the canera was fine when she sent it and that she doesn't know how it was packed feom my cousin and it keeps getting REALLY annoying because I keep tellin her that the canera was NOT removed from her original packaging...
How do I know when eBay closes the case, I mean for how long does this has to go on?

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone? Sorry for this but I just get more paranoid as time passes by...

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1043

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is getting absolutely ridiculous - this forum is not for disputes between eBay buyers and sellers!

However for the original posters information, they do not have a leg to stand on - even if the camera was junk when the seller mailed it. The fact goods were mailed to a third party address in the US, so as to get around the sellers embargo on selling outside the US, is a major stumbling block - This seller categorically states that she does not ship out of the US and to try and get around this by an act of subterfuge is a somewhat dishonest act by the buyer. In this case the cousin should have checked the camera before forwarding to the buyer, the excuse that it was in the original packaging matters not one jot. Who's to say that the Albanian customs did not open the package and damage the camera whilst searching for pornographic images. Before anybody thinks this is far fetched they should note the following - Two years ago I was helping out on a photographic commission in a certain Eastern European country, when an equipment failure meant the urgent air freighting of replacements from the UK. The box had obviously been opened by customs at the airport and one of the cameras damaged - it had been dropped we eventually found out, as it was being placed back into the box. How did all this come to light? The memory card in the other camera contained a clear image of the interior of the customs shed! When pressed for an explanation and threatened with legal action, it was explained that a search was being made for 'inappropriate' images. Whilst we applauded this apparent crackdown on child pornography; knowing that particular country's history, we did and still do wonder if the action was just an effort to paper over the cracks for the benefit of the EU.

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry if I hijacked this thread, it's just that I was in desperate need of help and that I accidentaly came across this forum, it turned out to have awesome people and everyone was very helpful. They gave me hope to actually open the case because I was aware of the problem with forwarding the item. Now that I opened the case, there's no way I'm going to retract from it. I need to go all the way through this, because I believe and I know that the problem wasn't neither at how my cousin didn't check it, nor at the possibility that the customs might have opened it. How could the customs open it and then hand it to me in a perfect-unopened package? Also yet I repeat this, the slot of the CF Card is so small that you can't put anything in there, and it's so deep (imagine the CF Card of this camera) that it's nearly impossible to volunteerly break the dents.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1242

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, the pins are not that hard to break: the reason that I know the cost of repair is that a coworker had bent a pin while inserting the CF card in a hurry. Since you're going to have to look for another camera in any case once this is all over, as much as I love my 400D I would advise looking for a later model that uses an SD card... these are less fragile in the card interface.

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was daying that the pins are hard to break in different ways other than inserting the cf card.
At this point I hope I can atleast get a partial refund from the seller so that I csn replace the part.

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So today i just got an e-mail out of the blue that the seller had escalated the case to eBay and later eBay decided to close the case to seller's favor. This came really unexpectedly to me and I don't know what to do now, I'm confused and frustrated. I can buy the part but I have no idea how much it's gonna cost me...
I just feel like I'll never buy from eBay again.. :/
Thank you so much, really it meant a lot to me.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 158

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't blame eBay...you had the camera shipped to you, out of the US, by a third party, after the seller had specifically stated they would not do so. Of course I have no idea when the damage occurred, but the moment your cousin posted the package, the seller's responsibility ended.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 389

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope you've learned your lesson on trying to circumvent the rules of an auction house. You made too many mistakes here. The first was to buy the camera against the express instructions from the seller precluding you from doing so. The second was having it trans-shipped to you. The third was waiting too long to make a claim.

Now you have two choices. Have the camera professionally repaired, because this is no DIY project, or sell it for parts.

I hope you can get it working to your satisfaction, as it is a fine camera, although quite a bit out of the range of Classic Cameras that are dealt with here.

Good Luck

PF

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wasn't really blaming eBay. It just makes no sense to me that you can't get something you want based on where you live. There's no way I could get that camera in my crappy country, and I'm 100% sure of that.
Anyways, yes, now ai'm stuck with it and I'd like to repair it.
So since the camera turns on perfectly, the CF Card reader/pins are the only problem. I found this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180922701625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m143 8.l2649
Is this the only thing I need to buy for a proffesionalist to replace it for me, or is there anything extra I need to get? (like cables that connect it to another certain part of the camera, etc.), or does the camera has it all?
There's only one left, I need to act fast :/..
Thanks for everything.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 392

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any cables will be in the camera, and as long as they are not damaged, should be okay. If you are sure that is the part neccessary, then there should be no problem with installation by a competant repair person. But they may find something else wrong while they have the camera open, though I don't see what could happen to anything else besides that coupler.

Don't give up on eBay. It's the worlds largest market for photography gear, but you have to abide by the rules. Unfortunately, some countries make it difficult for shippers to get their items deliverd to the buyer, either through egregious regulations, incompetant postal services, or corruption in the customs house. And there are gangs of thieves that operate out of certain places that make it impossible for a decent seller to make a profit. As they say over here, "One rotten apple spoils the whole barrel". Until governments crack down on those types, or make their import laws more open, some places just won't get any respect. But at least your parts seller ships worldwide. Your mom will be really happy when she gets her new camera.

PF

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe this is the part, the dents I talked about are the only thing that's damaged.
What does "Kiss n Kiss" mean (it says so in the title of the listing, and is it normal that that part can fit in the 350D Canon too?
Thanks again, now I'm only left with the hope that replacing it wont cost a lot.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 394

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny Chinese translation for "Plug and Play". Without a repair manual, it's hard to say how many models of Canon cameras this part is used in. Or if it's the correct part for your camera.

PF

Satycorn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So guys...
Just wanted to update anyways, for those of you who might have any interest.
I went with my mom today to the repair shop (the replacement part had already arrived) and they said that this is the worst defect and to replace the whole part, steam is used. This ruins the whole motherboard so it can't be done.
They can replace the dents only though, but that has only about 20% of chance to be successful, because the dents may ruin the whole motherboard.
IDK what to do, whether I should take my chances or not. It costs about $70 to do this and I'm scared... :/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration