Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Metz 45 CT-4 Won't Fire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Metz 45 CT-4 Won't Fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 215

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a used Metz 45 CT-4 and have run into a problem where it won't fire at all. When the power switch is switched "on" I hear the capacitor whine as it's being charged, and a moment later, a light illuminates. Which light that illuminates depends on where the dial is set: Auto, TTL, Manual, Winder. After it's charged up, it doesn't matter whether I push the "test" button or try tripping it from a camera's PC connector. Neither way works. I even tried it out on three different cameras just to be sure that one of the cameras wasn't also a problem. I also tested the Metz's sync chord for continuity, and it is good.

I have repaired flashes before, so I am very aware of the hazards involved with getting close to a charged capacitor. If I have to open it up, I plan to run leads from the capacitor to a piece of pipe I have sunk into my backyard that I can use to ground it out. So please, spare me any obligatory urges you may feel about cautioning me about the flash capacitor, okay? I'm well aware of it.

I want to know if there is a specific area or component that I should focus on as a likely culprit. I'm hoping it is something physical that can be repaired, say a loose or broken wire, cold solder joint, etc, because I'm pretty much a neophyte when it comes to electronics. If a circuit has gone bad, I won't have any idea of how to test for it. I do have a DMM, though, so if you know what I should look or test for, I'm open to this type of suggestion also.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 218

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm no expert but all electronic flashes have some sort of "trigger" switch (or "trigger" capacitor?) that dumps the energy of the main capacitor into the bulb. Ok, I asked the electronics guy here and was told it is called a triac.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 216

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the feedback, Finnegan. I wonder how commonly a triac goes bad? I guess I'm just gonna have to open it up and poke around. With rubber-handled tools. :-)

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you touch the outside and inside terminals of the synch cord with a paper clip or similar, and can see a tiny spark, it means the flash tube is kaput. I imagine there are still spares somewhere. The repair is quite straight forward.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 217

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for this. I just tested it. No spark, tiny or otherwise. I'm not really surprised by this. This 45 CT-4 is actually in excellent cosmetic condition with no signs of wear to speak of. I'm wondering if there is a component that is likely to go bad just from the flash sitting for a long period of time. I have a Vivitar 285 that is dead, apparently from sitting for too long -- won't take a charge or reform the capacitor even after being hooked up to A/C power for days. But I don't get the capacitor whine when I turn it on, though. Hearing that whine gives me hope that there's just some component somewhere in the CT-4's mix that's failed or been disturbed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration