Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exakta Varex (VX) IIb shutter mechani... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Exakta Varex (VX) IIb shutter mechanism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ameliezapf
Tinkerer
Username: Ameliezapf

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

a friend gave me an old Exakta Varex IIb that unfortunately has a broken shutter. The shutter curtains appear to be fine, no pinholes or anything. The problems lie elsewhere:

1) the smaller L-to-R (closing) curtain doesn't wind (or unwind) fully, thus freeing only part of the film window. It needs to be properly tensioned in order to work.

2) The RH side slow-speed dial and/or its mechanism are jammed. The dial cannot be wound and I can only select the self-timer settings 6, 4, 3 and 2 seconds. The dial does not move beyond that point. So I'd need a pointer to instructions how to overhaul the slow-speed gear train.

I've read that the Exakta is relatively easy to work on, so I'm hopeful I can accomplish this.

Kind regards,

Amy

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1241

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Amy: I have notes on disassembly and shutter service of the Exakta IIa and IIb - they may or may not cover what you need, but they'll at least get you started. Drop me a note at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy.

Ameliezapf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update:

after an hour of tinkering and exploring the mechanism, I'm a bit further: the closing curtain travels properly now. Also, I managed to free up the slow-speed escapement. It runs now, but the excentric discs underneath the slow-speed knob that govern the action of the slow-speed gear train seem to be upset, so the escapement does not perform the actions that are indicated by what the dial is set to.

Also, something is amiss in the gear train between the rapid-wind lever and the winder proper (fast-speed dial). But I guess this will be a minor affair.

Kind regards,

Amy

Ameliezapf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Done! With a little help by Rick Oleson, everything's working. The only thing is: the slow speeds are too slow. I read in the original repair manual that they should be adjusted by bending a part on the transmission rod. Does anybody have any experience with something like this?

Kind regards,

Amy

Ameliezapf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody,

well, it turned out the frame counter didn't advance (yes, the spring-like pawl is still there). In order to make everything fit together, it would be hugely beneficial if anyone had a photograph of the relative positions of the rings on the rapid-wind post in either the cocked or the unwound position.

Can anybody help me out?

Kind regards,

Amy

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 74

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The frame counter is a problem with many Exaktas in the VX series. One could spend hours on end setting it right. It will work for a few turns and then be back with the same problem. Check with Miles Upton's manual of repair. I would leave it as it is and simply count the number of frames mentally or mark them on a sheet of paper attached to the camera. If you are using B&W film and processing at home then you can use the knife to cut the film after exposing 10 to 15 frames as is convenient. The VX series permit a number of such manouvres [short cuts] to suit one's own convenience or fancy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration