Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Super Memar w/Solagon 2/50 and ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ansco Super Memar w/Solagon 2/50 and Syncro-Compur « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 385

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is one camera that I had really wanted a better outcome for. It has Agfa's top of the line Solagon, a somewhat better lens than the Solinar on my Karat 36 (which is a delight to shoot). But the Super Memar (the USA twin to the Super Silette) would be less fragile to carry around, and can use the same filters as my Retina IIIC.

But when I got it, it turned out that the seller was not forthright in his assessment of the cameras' condition. And no, I didn't buy it off of eBay. This was a private sale.

After a bit of work, I got it into what I hoped would be shooting condition. But the thing that bothered me was the front element being really scratched up. Turns out I was right in my fears of the IQ going down the drain, and the camera will now be a shelf queen, unless I can find one for parts where the body is shot, but the lens is good. I can't just swap the front element, because the front and rear optical groups were matched sets.

However, I thought it might be useful to someone else to see what work I did on the camera and lens, so I've posted it to Flickr at http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCbMYma

PF

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1243

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's interesting! I had an f/2 Super Memar that was in super shape except for that same issue - the lens looked like a marble that had been dropped into boiling water. I shot some film through it just to see what would happen, and as expected the lens was sharp but the flare was intolerable. I think I sold it cheap at a camera show after that. It wasn't your camera, though - it didn't have that interesting hexagonal badge on the front.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 386

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know the really interesting thing about the lens, Rick, is that even though the element is all scratched up, the retaining/name ring is immaculate. Makes me wonder if it was swapped out at one time.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 387

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put the test photos up on Flickr at http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCcfvZ7

I could use this camera as a soft portrait taker, but it's not the proper focal length, and not what I bought it for.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration