Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spotmatic Lightmeter Issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Spotmatic Lightmeter Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mrfusion
Tinkerer
Username: Mrfusion

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys,
I recently picked up a spotmatic sp for next to nothing and everything works fine except the light meter is behaving in an odd fashion. I replaced the battery w/ a 387s and the light meter now works when I toggle the meter/DOF preview switch. 1st problem, the exposure needle never drops to the bottom position when off. It just hangs around 10deg above the middle. 2nd, when metering in low light (like my house) it seems to meter somewhat accurately, atleast its within a couple stops of my other cameras; when I meter out side in normal sunlight, the meter always reads overexposed. Any ideas? Does it need recalibrated somehow? I've never seen one do this before. Sorry for the long post, thanks,
Mike
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 194

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the needle not dropping is normal.
The meter may need to be adjusted, but the fact that it is correct some of the time makes it sound like the cds cells are dying. In my experience however, when the cells start to go, they will read fine in good lighting, but will underexpose in low light.
Anyway, I think there is a potentiometer under the bottom plate of the camera that will give you some adjustability of the meter. If the error is not linear however, you may only be able to partly correct the problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration