Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

how to check if the how to check if ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » how to check if the how to check if light meter is working and if the aperature blades sticky? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mindseye
Tinkerer
Username: Mindseye

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi there, im new to this forum and im afraid i also posted this in another thread before i found this one.
i have recently acquired a Dacora super dignette 1:2.8/45mm pronto LK which i am checking out.. anyone adise me on how to check if the light meter is working and if the aperature blades ae ok or sticky?
many thanks Nikky

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 300

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your best bet on the light meter is to set the ASA at something you're fairly familiar with and aim it at a light source. Check if you get a "sunny 16" reading, i.e. F16 at the reciprocal of shutter speed should be at or about the ASA rating, so a sunny scene should be about 1/125 at F16 if ASA is around 100. If you get something close to that, and the needle responds to changes in light, you're probably OK.

For aperture blades, I'd open the back of the camera, and click the shutter at varying shutter speeds, looking through from behind. Select a shutter speed and shoot with lens wide open. Now do the same thing with lens stopped down all the way. If the two exposures are the same duration and light comes through the hole, the aperture blades are probably working all right. You can do the same thing at progressively faster speeds, and if there's sticking, eventually you should see it as a failure, partial or complete, to get light through the shutter.

Mindseye
Tinkerer
Username: Mindseye

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thankyou for your helpful reply M.currie
the good news is that the aperature blades so seem to be ok.. proof in the shooting i guess.

the light meter however still eludes me..i have sent 1/125 at F16 and do see the needle move, but i have no idea how read that needle movement ,
( sorry to be dim , but this is the first time i have used a camera like this)

wish i had a manual.. do you know of a camera that is similar to the Dacora super dignette 1:2.8/45mm pronto LK that i may be able to get a maunal for ?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 301

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I understand the Dacora (just from reading, no direct experience) the meter is not coupled to the shutter, so all you do is read the meter and apply the reading to setting the camera. You'll have to decide if the meter is still accurate enough to depend on. As for general reading of the movement, you can put an obstacle in front of the selenium cell, and watch the needle, which way it moves when you darken it. If there's any offset or compensation required, this will give you a hint which way to adjust the camera. Chances are it's going to be a pretty vague reading, good for average light reading and films with a fair latitude but needing some experience to second-guess if you have backlighting or shadows to deal with.

Here's the Butkus manual page. He has no manual listed, but there's an address there by which you may be able to contact him for an unlisted one.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/other_manuals.htm

Here's a link I found to a review of what appears to be the camera itself, which at least mentions the uncoupled meter, and suggests that you may get very good pictures from it when you get the exposures figured out! It also mentions and Ilford twin, for which I did not yet find a manual either.

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/reviews/2009/05/07/dacora-dignette-super-e-b- a-time-traveller

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 306

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found something on the Ilford version here:

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Sportsman_Auto_and_ARF.html

Quote from that site:
The user operates the camera by selecting a shutter speed on the lens barrel and then turns the aperture ring until a red needle coincides with the (selenium cell driven) white needle in the cut out on the (LHS) camera top plate or in the rectangular green field visible in the top of the viewfinder.

End quote.

Usually the red triangle (needle) has just an mechanic link to the aperture while the white needle moves depending on selected shutter speed and light. This system is basically found in various versions even in SLR cameras (Canon e.g. comes to my mind)

So in short: If the needles coincide the correct f-stop/shutter speed combination is selected.

Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration