Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya Sekor 65mm f/3.5 front group d... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Mamiya Sekor 65mm f/3.5 front group disassembly - How? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Soundsk
Tinkerer
Username: Soundsk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I recently bought an old C220 with two lenses - the 65mm f/3.5 and the 180mm f/4.5.
Both are in need of a cleaning operation, the 65mm more so.

I can easily unscrew the front and rear group assemblies, but what I need is to disassemble the front group itself, to reach the inside of the frontal element.
So far no luck - the inner ring (#1) has no cutouts to fit the spanner to unscrew, and seems to narrow for a friction unscrewing with a rubber stopper.
On the outside there is a line (#2) that suggests that it could be unscrewed on the outside, but I've tried it and no luck.

Here is a picture, in case my english isn't very clear (forgive that):
Here is the image link, I've also attached it:
http://i45.tinypic.com/rm8p75.jpg

Mamiya-Sekor 65mm f/3.5

Any ideas? Thank you very much!

Soundsk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

No one answered me here, but a very helpful member from photo.net pointed me the right way, so I'll leave my progress in this thread, in case someone ever wants to take this lens apart for cleaning.
Here is the my flickr album showing the disassembly:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soundsk/sets/72157631644580668/

I'll keep adding to it, as I'm going along. I'll try to clean the lenses and shutter tomorrow, if all goes well.
Cheers!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 395

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to see you got them apart. Do you think that maybe they were glued in? And don't forget to get all that penetrating oil off before you put it back together.

PF

Soundsk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I don't think they were glued but I while clearly the front and rear groups had been removed before as a whole - the tool marks and oil on the blades proves this. The groups themselves were never dismantled, there are no tool marks. So it was pretty tight and stuck after all these years.
I'll clean everything thoroughly before putting back together.

Right now I'm only waiting on the isopropyl alcohol, I don't have any but I went by the pharmacy and they told me they'd have it in later today. As soon as I have it, cleaning begins!

I'll add to the album and I'll also upload the service manual pages that a very kind person sent me, with an exploded view of the lens.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 398

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a couple of jar cap openers that come in handy when working on lenses. They look like overgrown filter wrenches with four different size holes with a clever two layer build, that give you eight different size grips to work with. Being of soft rubber construction, it's very easy to grab one end or the barrel of a lens, and the stuck filter or element on the other, give a twist, and Presto! They may be too big though for your application, as those are close quarters between the two lenses. A mini strap wrench might come in handy next time.

PF

Soundsk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a good idea, I'll have to see if I can find those...

Meanwhile I've cleaned the shutter and all the lenses, and put everything back together...
I've uploaded all photos to the link I posted earlier, as well as the service manual pages. The description of the images gives further details.

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration