Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Totally Dead Canon A-1: Where to begin? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Totally Dead Canon A-1: Where to begin? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 221

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like this is my week for Canon woes. I have a fairly clean A-1 I picked up that is totally and completely dead. When I insert a new battery into it, not even the battery check light flashes. Yep, the battery compartment is clean. I note that the film rewind button is stuck in the "pressed in" state, but I just verified with another A-1 that this doesn't cause the camera's electronics to shut down. I also tried the multiple exposure lever trick, but that didn't do any good either.

I'll be opening the camera up tomorrow. What I would like to know is, are there any high-percentage places I should look for evidence as to what might be causing the camera's totally dead state? High on my list is to have a look around the battery compartment (from the camera inside, though) and to trace down the leads running from it to . . . wherever it is they go. And maybe I'll get lucky.

Suggestions?

Lars
Tinkerer
Username: Lars

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a similar problem with a Canon AE-1. The problem turned out to be the battery. Seems as if todays alkaline 4LR44's does not have the "umph" to energize both the meter and the shutter.
Try using a lithium cell (Duracell PX28L) instead.
Worked for me.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 229

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish it were that simple. I pulled this "fresh" battery out of a normally functioning A-1 to test the dead one, so I kinda doubt it's the battery.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1047

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First thing to do is to check those wires from the battery box have not corroded. Only some very cheap (Chinese?) batteries seem to cause problems in the A1, but as Lars states, the Lithium PX28L is the way to go if one uses this camera on a regular basis.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration