Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax MX parts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax MX parts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jameseg
Tinkerer
Username: Jameseg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have recently bought a Pentax MX, I love it and it is a great camera but it has quite a lot of damage, but then that was expected for £30! The main thing at the moment is the base plate, the whole thing is covered with scratches and it has a very large dent on one side, can anyone tell me where I can buy spare parts for it? As I may also try to replace the cap on top of the winder lever, as that also has a LOT of scratches.

Thanks, James

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 101

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best source might be to get hold of a parts camera - the MX is slightly longer than the other "M" series cameras like the ME/Super, MV, MG etc so the base plate from them won't fit, although the wind lever covers should be the same.

Jameseg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, do you know how to remove the winder cover? I looked at the service manual but it isn't very helpful for me. And I will look for an MX for parts on eBay

Thanks, James

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cap just unscrews - I cant remember if its a left handed thread or not - sometimes you find them missing. Try a piece of rubber or similar to grip it as you turn against the lever.

Jameseg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK thanks I'll try that, do you have any idea how I would replace the hotshoe? You seem to know quite a bit about this camera.

Thanks, James

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 215

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James,
The hot shoe can be removed after taking out the spring plate. You can lift it up slightly from the front where the "X" mark is located and then slide it back. The hot shoe assembly is held on with four crosspoint screws.
As for the winding lever cover, the MX cover has two spanner holes for removal. The ME covers will not work on the MX as the threads are too short. The ME cover is just that-a cosmetic cover, but on the MX, the wind lever cover actually holds the wind lever to the shaft.
I do have many NOS parts for MX if you can't find a parts body.

Bill

Jameseg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I just took the hotshoe off and bent the contact up a bit, now the flash works perfectly every time, very pleased, thank you.

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 103

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stand corrected, I thought the MX winder cap would be the same as the ME etc.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration