Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FED Reppairs Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » FED Reppairs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jed
Tinkerer
Username: Jed

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a FED2 that needs the shutter curtains replaced and a CLA. I also have a FED1 that I received as a basket case and needs reassembly. Who is doing such work?

Thanks,
J.Ed

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are tough jobs. I guess that you may have to send it Russia to Oleg Kavyasin [he has a web site].
I have changed the curtains in a couple of Fed 2s; One worked easily; the second one took more than two weeks of trial and error. There are no standard specifications and physical guides for re-assembly. Repairing FSU cameras is more like innovating solutions. Also, the old cameras have many worn out parts that all things may not work to design after repair and re-assembly. For example, some of the shutter speeds may not work at all. All said and done they are simple mechanisms; and, one can try and restore them at home with just hand tools. Check Isaac Maizenberg's book on repairing FSU cameras. Best of luck.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1037

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do not want to go down the DIY route - there are plenty of instructions on the web if you want to try the FED 1 as a starter - any repair tech will do these at a price. It all depends on if you are happy with the price quoted, and you should note that most repairers will view a basket case with suspicion and increase their quote accordingly. Always better to view the beast in the whole before starting the stripdown, that way one can gain a good impression of what is wrong. In many cases one needs to assemble the basket case and then strip it down again to effect a proper and lasting repair.

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say Oleg Khalyavin (I think this is the correct spelling) can do this work. His website is okvintagecamera.com. He specializes in the Soviet era cameras. He is located in Russia, so keep in mind the shipping costs involved, and the increased shipping times. My understanding is that his turnaround time is quite fast.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 425

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also try Fedka at http://www.fedka.com/Frames/Main_Frame.htm

And if your backet case FED1 can't be fixed, he might take it in trade on another one.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration