Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fx-3 super 2000 Asa/shutter knob ques... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fx-3 super 2000 Asa/shutter knob question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frodge
Tinkerer
Username: Frodge

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When turning the shutter speed knob, the internal Asa setting will sometimes slip along with shutter speed without pulling the knob up. I brought the camera into essex camera in nj and was told it is normal and to just make sure I am slightly pushin down in the knob while setting shutte speed. Is something amiss here? What would cause this slippage? Essex camera swore it was normal for this to happen.

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think that's normal. The shutter speed knob is held by a screw in the center of the knob. Check if it's loose.
If the screw has two small holes, you can try to fasten it with a pair of tweezers otherwise use a small piece of rubber to gain friction.

Dirk

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1049

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On well used cameras of this age this is quite normal - just do what Essex Camera told you. You can strip the assembly down and clean out the dirt and crud, unfortunately it is this crud that has caused the wear that led to the slippage - removing same can lead to even more unwanted movement that pushing down will not prevent.

Frodge
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera was given to me brand new wen I was a kid. It's hardly been used. It looks brand new and do not thi I there is any dirt or grime. It basically looks like a museum piece. I think in its lifetime it has less than 70 rolls of film run through it. Maybe less than 50.

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, what Glenn said would have been my second suggestion: live with it.
Stripping down the assembly is not too difficult, but maybe you'd want to practice on a camera that doesn't have sentimental value for you.

Dirk

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1050

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well in that case strip the assembly and and make sure it is clean inside. You may be surprised at what you find - lack of use could have led to any grease in there congealing, stopping the ASA dial locking. Shutter speed knobs of the design fitted to the FX-3 can pick up dirt just from the operators fingers, so depending on where it was used just ten or twenty rolls use could cause problems to an otherwise mint camera. As you have used the camera so little since you were given it, ignore the problem if /when you use it again. Pushing down on the knob will not do any harm to the mechanism.

Frodge
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would take it apart, I just don't know what to get that screw with the two Pin holes out with. They look like really shallow holes. I did plan on starting to use it a lot again.

Frodge
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will also add that the tendency for the dial to slip happens more when turning the shutter speed counter clockwise.

Frodge
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 05:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to amend my findings a slight bit. What is actually happening is at some of the times, when you go to adjust the shutter speed, the Asa ring will turn instead of the shutter speed, even though, the outer ring is not pulled up. Then if you press down the shutter speed wil turn. The Asa is not slipping at the same time that the shutter speed is turning.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 304

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2012 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first guess would be a little dirt or corrosion on whatever shaft the shutter speed dial uses to ride up and down on. If this happens intermittently when the outer ring has not fallen far enough, I would, first of all, apply my favorite cure for corroded surfaces. Raise and lower the outer ring about 50 times in succession. Just keep doing it, and see if the shaft frees up enough to allow the ring to drop down all the way. If lots of exercise doesn't improve it you probably will need either to disassemble it or live with it, but your observation that you can get the outer ring to turn by pressing it down suggests that the problem might be minor enough to respond to exercise.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration