Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic F: Can't rewind film... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Hi-Matic F: Can't rewind film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pailes
Tinkerer
Username: Pailes

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

I just shot a roll of c41 film with my Minolta Hi-Matic F but rewinding the film doesn't work anymore. I press the rewind knob at the bottom and it sticks into the base plate just fine but rewinding still doesn't work. It seems stuck somehow and there is tension when I try to but I don't want to force it too much because I don't want to tear the film apart.

I would really like to get the film out of the camera without exposing it to light :-(

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 54

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no need to worry about the film as long as you dont open the back cover by mistake. You can always remove the bottom cover and examine what is preventing the rewinding. It should be a simple problem.

Pailes
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the hint, I removed the bottom cover without problems but unfortunately I cannot see anything wrong with it as the sticking mechanism works fine but it goes directly inside the camera. But somehow the advance mechanism cannot be released by pressing the rewind knob.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 55

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand your plight. I have a few suggestions.
As far as I have seen in all cameras the take up spool can laways be turned either way irrespective of the state of winding the camera, I mean shutter cocked or not clicked or not or cocked half way etc.
There fore it is possible to take out the film first then lookin to problem seperately.
To remove film safely, take the camera in to a totallly dark room at night time, cover yrself with a thick blanket and then open the back cover.
Lift out the film cartridge just enough to clear the film from the winding spool.(some times the very problem disappears at this moment). Now you can pull the film off the take up spool in small steps simjultaneously winding the roll in the cartrige.
I have done this umteen number of times, mostly while solving similar problems.

Once the film is out you can play with camrea as you like. You might try winding and clicking the shutter and see if it becomes ok on its own.
Some times releaseing the pressure of film being rewound itiself will release the mechanism just in case you attempted to start rewinding without pressing the rewindbutton initially.

Good luck any way.

Pailes
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot. Sounds like it's definitely possible for me to remove the film myself without professional help, that was the main thing I was worried about.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration