Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtländer bessamatic doesn't fire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Voigtländer bessamatic doesn't fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wimwinters
Tinkerer
Username: Wimwinters

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I just bought a voigtländer Bessamatic from ebay. I fired the shutter, no problem, shutter closed perfectly, but after rewinding, I was unable to fire again. There seemed to be no tension on the shutter button. Also the little pin behind the lens, which opens the aperture for focussing, was stuck in the middle. Is it completely broken or does it just need some attention?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 200

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the shutter opened back up? If not, it could need a cleaning. If it is stuck closed, that would explain the lack of tension on the shutter button.

Wimwinters
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the shutter stays closed. As the lady who sold it wrote me today, it belonged to her grandfather and hasn't come out of the cabinet for many decades now.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 201

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try a few drops of lighter fluid on the shutter blades. That may allow them to open again.

Just to be clear. The shutter should be closed until you advance the film, then it should open again. When you fire the shutter, it should close briefly, open again for the duration of the exposure and then close, ready for the film to be advanced.

If the blades start to move with the lighter fluid, it needs a good cleaning.

Wimwinters
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will try, thank you for the advice. Yes, I know the shutter should close after firing the shutter (what it did), and opening while advancing the film. But it stayed closed and the shutter button has no "resistance" more. I have a Kodak retina reflex III, working with more or less the same compur shutter, working perfectly, and a Contaflex super, with aperture blades in the shutter, worked for one film, but became sticky, another Bessamatic with another problem (shutter blades don't close any more..; and a older contaflex (with fixed lens). The Kodak and the older Contaflex work both smooth and perfect. Although the bessamatic feeled like the best camera and lightmeter... reason why I bought a second one (and am waiting the first results of the Kodak and 'old' contaflex. The lenses of the Kodak do look to me outstanding.)

Poulf
Tinkerer
Username: Poulf

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same problem. In both of my newly acquired Bessamatic's the trigger and the film winder are fixed after the film rewind. Both worked until flmen was rewinded. I must be doing something wrong?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 202

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, if I understand correctly, you have put a film through with no problems. After you rewind the film the camera will not fire.
When you rewind the film, you must push the "R" lever (next to the film advance lever) forward.
When you next advance the film, the "R" lever should automatically return to it's normal position.
If it's not returning on it's own, then something is wrong with that mechanism.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration