Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Topcon Lens Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Topcon Lens Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_letour
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_letour

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a Topcon Wink S Mirror last week (leaf shutter), and I cannot get the 53mm F2 Topcor UV lens off. The original directions, which I found online, gives the following instructions:

"Press the lens locking lever, which will disengage the lens locking system. Rotate the lens counter-clockwise until it stops, release pressure on the lens locking lever and continue rotation until it makes a full stop again. Then lift it out gently."

Pressing the locking lever works, but after an eighth turn or so, releasing the locking lever does not allow it to continue. What gives? I have tried just about every possible combination of pressing, releasing and wiggling, with no luck at all. I am fairly mechanical, but I didn't want to dig in until I asked around.

Thanks

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 228

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never release the lever until the lens is off.

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checked mine.The lever is at about 5 o'clock [facing the front of the lens] when locked.Turning it anticlockwise to 3 o'clock is as far as it turns,and the lens pulls out.The lever only has to be pushed in for the first part of the turn as it is just like a locking hook inside.If you cannot pull it out at 3 o'clock the only thing holding it must be the lens barrel tight in the opening [maybe corrosion].Hope this helps.

Mike_letour
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_letour

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I tried just about everything. The camera was very clean, no corrosion. Last night, I took the lens completely apart, and it came off. I tried to see what had caused the problem, but it wasn't obvious. What was obvious was that these cameras are a bit out of my league mechanically, from a fine motor skills standpoint. I bagged the parts up, along with a really nice Spotmatic with a sticking mirror, and gave them to a friend who enjoys working on these cameras. May he use them well and enjoy them. I'm done trying to relive my K1000 days. Back to my Canon 7D. I appreciate classic cameras if purely for their mechanical elegance, but I am a digital guy, I guess. It's too bad, because I see these cameras at thrift stores regularly for $3-$5.

Donkee
Tinkerer
Username: Donkee

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before mounting a lens check to make sure the two tabs that control the aperture are right on top of each other. If they are not and there is a gap between them it will lock the lens on the camera and the aperture will not close when taking a photo. Once on the only way I know other than trying to disassemble the camera at the mount is to just grab on and give it a good twist. You may destroy the tabs on the lens and might tweak the actuator on the body.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration