Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CdS light meter over reading Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » CdS light meter over reading « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Exakta2012
Tinkerer
Username: Exakta2012

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I own an Exakta VX1000 camera with an interchangeable viewfinder with a built-in CdS light meter. It is 35 years old but was never used. It works fine except that the light meter over reads exposures.

Does anyone know a repair shop that will re-calibrate the CdS light meter?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 231

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.straussphototech.com/

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 281

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe the Exacta used a px625 mercury battery, which I know you don't have in there (they don't make them anymore). If you have an alkaline or silver oxide battery in your camera, that is probably what's wrong (wrong voltage). You need to get a zinc/air battery and buy or make an adapter so it will fit in order to get accurate readings.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 307

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fallisphoto is right for the short term, but depending on the design of the meter circuitry, and how serious one wants to get, recalibrating the meter for newer batteries may be a better option. Some cameras are hard to do, others quite easy. A good tech (don't know Strauss, but my favorite is Vermont Camera works, also on the web) can inform you on this. Zinc air hearing aid batteries with an O-ring or a metal adapter can be a good cheap alternative to changing the camera, though some cameras still need a little ASA offset to make the meter really accurate.

Misa2
Tinkerer
Username: Misa2

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can try voltage reducing adapter for px625. It uses standard zinc/air battery.

Cheers,
Misa :-)

Exakta2012
Tinkerer
Username: Exakta2012

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help. I am using a Wein Cell MRB625 battery, which supposedly has the same voltage as the old PX13. I am thinking maybe the needle itself needs to be adjusted. Either that or the CdS cell needs to be calibrated. I really want to get it fixed as it is a rare item.

Does anyone know if a CdS cell can be re-calibrated? Or how to "reposition" the needle measuring the exposure?

I called Strauss photo, they said they would look at it but I'm not sure if they understood the problem. I live in the U.K so am hesitant to send it to the U.S.

I may need to give up on it. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration