Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sekor 90mm K/L - Shutter Ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Sekor 90mm K/L - Shutter Ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hector
Tinkerer
Username: Hector

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Just picked up my first MF camera, an RB67 with a 120 back and the 90mm lens. It is all in mint condition so I'm pretty chuffed, apart from one thing; the shutter speed on the lens isn't changing.

Moving the speed ring is having no discernible effect on the shutter speed. I've checked this by setting to "T" but it opens and shuts still and on 1sec speed it's clearly not 1sec.

The "x" port doesn't seem to be triggering my strobes either.

Is there anything I can do to try and fix this or that may solve it. Buying this lens separately here in the UK is quite expensive.

Many thanks in advance!
Gareth

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 218

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm very familiar with RB67 lens repair but I don't have enough info here to make a diagnosis. First of all, have you removed the back, looked through the camera and fired the shutter? Are the blades opening and closing?

Hector
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, the blades are opening and closing on firing and the camera itself seems to be functioning as it should. The only issue I am having is that rotating the shutter speed ring seems to be having no effect, on the shutter speed. Thanks

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 219

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would check the shutter by itself in this way:
Cock the shutter and remove it from the camera body. Set one second shutter speed, aperture wide open. Looking on the back of the shutter, orient it with the small silver pin (it sticks out about 2mm) at 12 o'clock. Press in the silver pin while slowly turning the two posts at 9 and 3 o'clock clockwise and looking through the back of the lens. After about 6mm of movement the shutter blades should slowly close. The sequence will be: shutter blades will close, shutter will open and time out and then blades will stay in closed position until shutter is cocked.

In any case, if there is a problem with these lenses, the shutter will have to be removed for repair and this takes a bit of disassembly. Unless you are going to tackle this yourself, the cost of repair probably is greater than replacing the lens with today's prices..
Bill

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 308

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLA will probably fix the problem as in most cases it is generally lack of maintenance that causes these lenses to go on ya.

The cost of a CLA is around $90. The only issue with K/L is the shutters are garbage with plasic parts in em. Mamiya was making their last ditch efforts to stay afloat in this market so they scaled back in quality although they boasted their coatings n glass have improved. I don't buy it nor will I work on any of that series.

Hector
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the assistance guys. I'll take a look at the shutter Bill, but sounds like I just need to get another lens either way. Outside of the k/l any suggestions on the best 90mm replacement, maybe the "c"? Many thanks. I've also just picked up a SQ-Ai mint, this is getting addictive!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration