Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-700 Aperture Coupling Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta X-700 Aperture Coupling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vcdobbs
Tinkerer
Username: Vcdobbs

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My trusty X-700 has finally decided to kick it. The aperture coupling ring has stopped returning to its normal position after swinging it to f/22 and back. I could manually return it, but you can't do that with the lens on. I took off the brass lens mount to see if there was grit sticking in between the body and the plastic ring. There was none. The spring was still attached when I removed it, so that wasn't the issue either. Any ideas?

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a thread on a similar issue with a 101.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6901/2896.html

I also have found free downloads of the service manual if you need/want one. I can probably find the link if you would like it.

Good Luck!

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 132

Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2012 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the spring is attached and it still will not spring back to stop position, you HAVE to have sand, grit or corrosion under your lens mount OR the lens mount is warped or damaged. I have several X-700 if you need parts. Art: www.flcamerarepair.com

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2012 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Logically, if the spring is in position the problem pesists, then it is a matter of examining carefully what is stopping it. I believe only you can find it out. Unless you have dropped it there is no reason to believe some thing is broken or warped. There is hardly any mechanism behind it.
To me it appears it cd be just dirt, got in between and scracehd some thing while you were trying to free it. Even small scrach can casue friction enough o make the ring not move on its own.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 411

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had this same problem on one of my X-700's. Turned out there was a bent piece in the mount that was dragging on the ring. It wasn't easy to tell until I looked at the operation of the ring numerous times. Check the back side of the ring to see if there are any marks from something pressing on it.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration