Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loose focus on Leitz Xenon Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Loose focus on Leitz Xenon « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 86

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 01:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a Xenon 50 f/1.5 in LTM.

The focus is off and loose. At minimum focus distance (set at 100cm) actual focus is about 90cm.

I want to tighten it up and collimate it properly.
Any ideas which screws I need to take out?

There's some oil on the aperture blades but that doesn't appear to be a problem at this moment. But if there's an easy way to get access to them I'd love to hear it too.

Any help appreciated.

Rick

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 87

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Managed to fix the problem myself.

The Xenon is quite similar in design to the Summarit, on which one can find a little more information concerning disassembly.

The main difference is that the service openings in the focus ring on the Summarit are hidden on the Xenon. After removing the single locking screw you can unscrew the knurled ring from the rest of the focus ring (section with the tab). You can then see three opening in which to insert the pins to lock the rear lens element in place and you can unscrew the rest of the lens unit and aperture blades/ring.

The problem with mine was that my lens had been incorrectly re-assembled. And the 3 set screws that hold the entire lens unit in position were loose.

Lens now focusses correctly and no more wobble in the front section.

http://www.flibweb.nl/flibweb/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/xenon4.jpg

Mounted on a Leica IIIc
http://www.flibweb.nl/flibweb/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/xenon14.jpg

Test shot on R-D1
http://www.flibweb.nl/flibweb/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/xenon08.jpg

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 422

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to hear you've got it all worked out, Rick. And that's a lovely test shot.

PF

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 89

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks,

Not sure if the glow is due to the scratched rear element or because it's a 75 year old Leitz lens. ;)

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 423

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe a little bit of the scratch affecting things. But then you have a wide variation between light values in that shot, so a little glare would be expected. Kind of hard to hold the highlights without blanking everything else out.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration