Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 Meter Issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta SRT 101 Meter Issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kuriskayla
Tinkerer
Username: Kuriskayla

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm aware this question has been asked probably 100 times, but I'm a beginner with cameras so I think I'll need more specific instructions.

I ordered a Minolta SRT 101 off Etsy. The exposure needle is stuck in the top corner. The aperture needle (sorry, not sure about the exact name for it, it's the one with the circle on the end) moves just fine.

It seems strange, because the seller indicated to me he shot two rolls of film through the camera two days ago and the meter was working normally. Is it possible that the battery drained out in two days? The switch was turned to "On" while it was in transit, but I assume that wouldn't affect the battery since it was in darkness.

Also, the needle does not move when on battery check.

Lars
Tinkerer
Username: Lars

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If a new battery doesnīt help, and if the needle is still stuck in B.C. mode, You can always try tapping the camera in different directions to try to free the meter needle. If this does not work, You will have to start taking the camera apart. Start with the bottom plate. It is easy to take of, just two skrews. Look for corroded or loose wires.
If everything here is OK, You will have to take the top cover of. BUT BE WARNED! SRTīs are not the easiest cameras to work on. If You are even the least bit reluctant, leave it to a professional.

Scott_tcr
Tinkerer
Username: Scott_tcr

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I'd check the continuity of the battery wires first (it will probably need replacing anyways), but I suspect the needle is stuck against the side of the meter (there's little 'bumpers' that deteriorate and get sticky).

If it is in fact stuck, you should be able to free it by tapping (make sure its turned on). I usually slam the bottom of the camera in my palm to free it.

I'll try to provide a pic.

Scott_tcr
Tinkerer
Username: Scott_tcr

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Notes regarding prism removal.

No soldering required.
Careful with meter needle.

pic 1 shows location of the 'bumper' (small square)

pic 2 shows me removing bumper.

[IMG]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo290/hand666/locationofbumper.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo290/hand666/bumperremoved.jpg[/IMG]

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 131

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had probably 100 or more SRT's with stuck meter needle and they ALL were stuck for the same reason: On the meter body itself are two small pieces of material that act as stops for the needle travel. These will get gummy and cause the needle to get stuck on them. You'll have to take the top off, remove the prism (and metal shield in front of meter) and using a tiny probe or any small tool, remove this material (it just wipes off). I replace it with an equally tiny piece of paper and a touch of cement. Be careful that you don't get any cement on meter needle and also while you are there, check needle to make sure none of the melted "stuff" has gotten on needle itself. Done!

G3bill
Tinkerer
Username: G3bill

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if thats why my Canon F-1n's meter has been sticking for years. Always sticks to bottom and either a tap or very bright light will set it free, if needle rests again, it sticks again. kind of a pain in low light.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration