Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F-1 shutter speed problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F-1 shutter speed problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 88

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I haven't had much time to play with it, but I got a Canon F-1 (early version I think) that seemed to be "abandoned". I have yet to test it with a battery and see if the meter works, but I dry tested it and it seems the fast shutter speeds are OK, down to about 1/60. Below that speed it seems stay around 1/60. Any shutter speed set below 1/60 has no effect but still fires. Bulb works OK.
Any idea? Is that a common issue?
The camera needs a good cleaning which I'll do as soon as I get a chance.

Here are 2 pics of it just as I received it:

http://images28.fotki.com/v125/photos/4/1233394/9837650/_IGP5618b-vi.jpg

http://images59.fotki.com/v222/photos/4/1233394/9837650/_IGP5619-vi.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 89

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update: Doing some research it seems it is not the early version but the New F-1 that is electronically controlled.....

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 59

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2012 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
The Camera you have got is a F1-n (New). The camera will work with-out a battery on speeds from 1/2000 down to 1/125, and B, all the other speeds will be at 1/90.
You will need a battery (4LR44 )or similar.
The body look to be well worn, but I bet you can get it working well.
I think this was one of the best cameras ever made.
Doug

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 246

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To clarify, you have the F1N (the electronic one). The earlier one was the F1n (which is the manual upgrade of the original F1). Only some of the accessories of the original fit the N.

I am a big fan of the F1 original and the F1n but hate the F1N.

Oh, you might find this amusing. I found one of these like new with the motor drive and 250 exposure back at Monte Piedad pawn shop in Bayamon (by El Canton Mall) for $125. but didn't have time to look it over. Of course, it was gone by the time I got back. That was around 1992.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration