Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon nFD 85mm f/1.8 disassembly. I a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon nFD 85mm f/1.8 disassembly. I am stumped. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ichinichi
Tinkerer
Username: Ichinichi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2012 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!

I'm stumped by this lens.

The best schematic I can get is:
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/FDold85mmf18_.gif

I need to get at the rear of the third-to-front element to clean off some fungus.

So I bought me a spanner and took off the first retaining ring to see this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/files/t/TS560x560~834fc919c6b943e6a8508211867ffd3e

I popped the front-most element out onto my palm and see this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/files/t/TS560x560~fb777f304a4c41dc90b168086650aba2

The C-ring looks like it is holding the second and third element in so I remove the C-ring.

But the second and third elements don't pop out like the first element.

Anyone have any idea what I could try?

Thanks!!!

Ichinichi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2012 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, that schematic looks like its for the original FD judging by the mount.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 221

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2012 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you PM me I can send you a scan of the Canon parts diagram from microfiche of this lens.
Bill

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1054

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you require is a copy of the official Canon repair notes for their technicians. The parts diagram is not the ideal document to work off for many of the FD and nFD lenses, especially the faster optics. The printouts were available from many sources some years back, just do a Google search and read carefully what is on offer. The Canon tech notes are an 'aide memoir' for technicians that have attended a training session - all the info for a stripdown and proper re-assemble is given, however they are not always a detailed A to Z on pulling the lens completely down.
You could try this for a start -

http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/manual01CANLENS.html

Ichinichi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for the link. However, the only FD repair notes I could find are described as follows:

-----------------------------------------------
#80063 - Canon FD Lenses, 110 pages. Service and repair guide for early rotating breech lock (c.1971) Canon FD lenses: 7.5mm F5.6 fisheye, 28mm F3.5, 35mm F2, 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4, 55mm F1.2, 55mm F1.2 AL, 100mm F2.8, 100-200mm F5.6. Note: Service and repair instructions are skimpy but the illustrations, repair diagrams and exploded views are highly detailed as is the comprehensive parts list. Service reports, bulletins, modifications and design changes are included, $25.
-----------------------------------------------

As you can see, they do not include anything about the nFD 85mm f/1.8.

Please let me know if I am overlooking something on this page?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration