Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Tele-Wide lens adapter sets? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Tele-Wide lens adapter sets? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Yashica Electro 35 GS/GSN has a 55mm filter ring. Will the screw-on wide angle/telephoto lens kit work on any camera with a 55mm filter ring? (I know it will screw on but will the focus be correct?) I have several cameras that all use the 55mm filter, would like to have it work on them all

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 236

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. They are generic.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 204

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just make sure the front element of the receiving lens is set deep enough. If not, you could scratch it.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sweet thanks! ((Before doing some research I bought a set, "Focal" brand at Goodwill that doesn't have the guide scale on the sides. After looking at the Yashica and Petri sets with the scales on the side, I figured the ones I got at Goodwill are for SLR cameras, no way to accurately focus them with a rangefinder.)) so I found a nice set on the Bay.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 237

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're supposed to focus as usual regardless of using the lens or not. The auxilliery lens does not change the focus, only the angle of view. These were not made for SLRs although they can be used. There is supposed to be a viewfinder that comes with these lens sets.

The lenses which have scales on the side: those scales apply only to the focal length of the lens they were intended to fit on. For example, the Yashikors scale refers to the 45mm lens on the Electro (or any other 45mm lens). The scale would be inaccurate slightly if relied to when using them on a 50mm lens or 55mm lens, etc. Your Focals are just as usable.

These lens sets were made in series sizes such as Series 6 and 7 which can be used on any camera by simply changing the adapter ring (such as Series 7 to 55mm, etc.). Lots of these were made by Kalimar and Walz (to name a few).

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 26

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The auxiliary lens does change the focus. That's the purpose of the scale on the side: to convert "Dstance to Object" to "Camera Setting," in the case of the Yashica. On the Petri lenses it says: "If Actual Distance is . . . Adjust Distance Scale to. . . ." If your Yashica GSN rangefinder says your subject is 20 ft (6m) away, you set distance with the WA aux lens at 30 ft (10m) and with the tele aux lens at 10 ft (3m). Without a scale for the aux lens, it probably requires some math to calculate the focus correction factor--if you know the strength of the WA or tele lens.

Also, isn't the distance between the front element of the main lens and the rear element of the aux lens a factor in hitting the correct focus? The RF aux lenses are manufactured to fit a particular RF camera and designed with the proper gap between the lenses, so isn't the designed depth of the front element from the filter ring important?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 419

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Auxillary lenses were usually marketed as being for a particular camera, as each fixed-mount lens was a different design. Whether it has the proper filter ring size is not the issue. There were some third party makers of aux lenses for the Yashicas, but that was all they were for.

I never used my set, because for one thing, they are too much trouble to focus, and from what I've read of others experience with them, not much good on image quality. If you want different focal lengths on a rangefinder camera, the least expensive way to go is buy some Russian cameras and lenses.

Another other route is to get a Retina, which actually changes out the whole front half of the lens. After that, getting a Leica, Contax, or one of their clones is what you need for true system interchangability.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 420

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing. You can't use the G series aux lenses on the MG-1, as they will block the meter window. Yashica made a particular set for the MG-1 that were push-on, and had a slot to uncover the meter window. Very hard to find a set.

PF

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the ones on eBay have different numbers like Yashikor Y808 1:4 Wide, Yashikor Y807 1:4 Tele (or Y706, Y011, Y812, Y901...etc. it seems none have the same number. I know what the 1:4 means but what is the designation of the "Y***" numbers?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 424

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yashica. If it was for a Ricoh, they would start with an R. For a Petri, a P.

PF

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 207

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If helps any, the set for my Electro35 GSN is a Y106.

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is strange. I never paid much attention to the numbers on the lenses before. I have three sets, all bought at different times from different places, and the numbers are:
Set 1: WA-Y211 Tele-Y707
Set 2: WA-Y707 Tele-Y212
Set 3: WA-Y912 Tele-Y001
Why so many numbers, and none matching unless I switch a couple of lenses?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 425

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think that with each new version of camera (G, GS, GSN) they changed the part numbers on the lenses, though the design may not have changed. It's not unlikely that after all these years, there has been some mixing of the sets you have. One set I have is marked Y011 on the Tele, and Y012 on the WA. Not sure about the other set as it's packed away somewhere.

PF

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, thank you, so I'm not insane, my new set says TELE Y011 and WIDE Y107, after I bought it at the Bay, I noticed all the different numbers and was sweating about if it was compatible with my GS waiting for it to arrive, it fits fine, I guess the numbering system may remain a mystery

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration