Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1n again... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus OM-1n again... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After getting the shutter speeds on my "n" working properly, I found the meter wouldn't register unless I pointed it at a bright light at f1.8/30sec. (Battery is good). Inside the mount there are two toothed rings, one engages the shutter speed setting gear under the mirror box at the bottom edge, the top edge engages with a small non-fixed double pinion at the top of the lens opening. Under this another ring engages with the rear pinion on the above mentioned pinion, plus it engages with a tiny gearwheel sticking out under the lens mount (at about 1 o' clock as you look at it), and holds the thin nylon cord that disappears somewhere inside the camera to the left. What I want to know is which of these little mechanical parts transmits f# and shutter speed information to the meter? (Interestingly I tore down a junked OM-20 that seemed to do all this much more electronically).

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1251

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some notes if you'd like a copy. There are 2 different arrangements (that I'm aware of) in the OM1 series, the notes touch on both.

rick_oleson@yahoo.com

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, will get in touch. From what I can gather, the "string" connects with the meter mechanically. I am hoping it's not displaced or stretched.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration