Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM2n- Find Shutter Cam position ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FM2n- Find Shutter Cam position ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Newworld
Tinkerer
Username: Newworld

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did it ! I moved the cam and now I don't know the "B" position ?
Can you help?
I would also like to check the operation of the shutter can anyone describe now to operate ( cock and trip ) it when it's a stand alone item ( i.e. out of the camera body and not connected to the mirror mech.)
Thank you !
Steep learning curve !

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 223

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To find "B" position: turn the plastic shutter speed control gear until the B lever (located at around 11 o'clock to the control gear) dips downward and that is your B setting.

To operate shutter out of the camera: push the shutter cocking lever on the bottom of the control mechanism to the left. This will cock the shutter and the lever will return to rest position as it is spring loaded. Shutter can be release by pressing downward on the small lever protruding outward on the right hand side of the mechanism toward the bottom.
Bill

Newworld
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brcamera,
Thank you for your help !
I had previously given the cocking lever a push but it didn't move - you gave me the confidence to try again .
This morning I gave the shutter cocking lever a push to the left and the shutter cocked ( the blades are covered in "Mirror bumper liquid rubber ").I also released the shutter as described by yourself .
It looks like I have a dirty but working shutter- I'm very happy !

I have the B setting - I thank you !

All the best "Thank you "

Newworld
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter cocking lever is extremely difficult to move - I assume it needs a bit if strength in the spring to achieve the 1/4000 th speed ?

The correct positioning of "B' ( on the cam )is also confirmed by the shutter blades releaseing upon pressing downward on the small lever protruding outward on the right hand side of the mechanism towards the bottom ( they then stay open )

They close upon activation of the "B" lever ( located at around 11 o'clock to the control gear )

This is the shutter operation "B"
Thank you Brcamera !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration