Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 dissasembly due fungus. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-1 dissasembly due fungus. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Racoon1986
Tinkerer
Username: Racoon1986

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there! I'm a bit frustrated because my Minolta XG-1 has a fungus on one of its mirrors but i don't know on which one. I also don't know how to open the camera up to clean it. Pleas HELP!!

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 71

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2012 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks more like the infamous cellophane tape problem. This is not a typical fungus pattern.

Some cameras had tape placed on the top of the prism and over time it eventually caused the mirror silvering on the prism to deteriorate. I have seen it on some Minoltas and also some Canon FT series cameras.

There is no "fix" short of replacing the prism or getting it resilvered. Of course the tape and residue can be removed and the camera would still be otherwise usable, just with an irritating obstruction in the viewfinder.

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, tape on prism problem, got one of those myself. Irritating to the eye but doesn't hurt the pictures. Throw it away and buy another body, they are cheap enough, or keep it and use it for parts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration