Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Revueflex (Zenit 3M) shutter curtain ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Revueflex (Zenit 3M) shutter curtain gets stuck at 1/30th « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pailes
Tinkerer
Username: Pailes

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,

Got an old Revueflex (which seems to be a Zenit 3M with a different label) but the shutter curtain at 1/30th sometimes gets stuck near the left side. It just feels like there is missing some power when compared to the faster shutter speeds which seem to run fine. When using "B" shutter speed setting something similar can be observed, opening the shutter curtain seems just fine (snappy), but when it's closing you can easily watch it travel from the right side to the left which seems slow in comparison.

I was doing some research and found this:
http://tomtiger.home.xs4all.nl/zenrep/ztension.html

At the bottom of the page 1/30th is listed as a special issue, but when I remove the bottom plate off my camera it's lacking the tension screw being mentioned, only the left side looks similar.

Any input appreciated.

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,I find that retensioning the shutter curtains on a SLR to be a last resort.I find after fixing many purchases of cameras of this era that it is dried up lubrication or dirt that is the problem.
You may think that the faster speeds are OK,but if you remove the lens,open the back of the camera and set at the fastest speed hold it up to the light and trip the shutter,you should see an image of a rectangular frame.If it is not a rectangular shape the shutter is 'capping',which usually means the first curtain is slow and needs a clean and lub.
If you get some lighter fuel down inside the roller it usually frees it,but getting it in the right place can be a problem without dismantling.Try sqirting some around the tension adjusting screws with the camera held upside down then repeatedly operate the shutter.
No doubt somebody will say this is only a temporary solution,which may be true,but it has worked for many SLR's in my collection.

Pailes
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did what you suggested and did some more tests with the faster shutter speeds, but they still seem fine to me. The 1/30th of a second makes the shutter curtain stuck at 4/5th of the frame pretty consistently.

I've found this picture here to be very close to what I see when removing the bottom plate:
http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/2282009_zentac4.JPG

Is it even possible to lube from this side and if so, how much lubrication should be applied?

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
just checked through some old notes I used to make after fixing cameras[like I bother to do it now!] and found one on a zenit 3M.It had the same problem,and I just squirted lighter fuel down the gap in the top plate around the speed dial and put the speed on B and actuated the shutter several times.Note,do not use anything other than lighter fuel,DO NOT use any type of oil which will ruin the curtains and tapes.

Pailes
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I will do what you suggested and report back if it worked.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration