Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri FT 1000 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Petri FT 1000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oldmandave
Tinkerer
Username: Oldmandave

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Petri ft 1000 that has stopped working... it belongs to my wife and she just loves this camera... the diaphragm seems to be stuck in the closed position... can't see anything when looking thru the viewfinder... I can manually open it but it won't stay open. I may try to take it apart but am a little hesitant as to what I am doing as I am not great with the putting it back together.. any help greatly appreciated... Thanks, oldmandave

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 243

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of the Petris I find are not working or not working properly. Basically, I like Petris but I would love to have one that works like their rangefinder cameras.

Ok, aside from that, it sounds like your shutter is hung up or jammed, the mirror is stuck in the up position causing the iris to remain closed down. This happens to lots of cameras regardless of brand.

Personally, I would not recommend fixing it yourself if you have never opened a camera before but, because it is a personal favorite, it would be best to get it fixed by a regular repair service like SPTS (Strauss Photo Technical Services). If it were not for it being a "loved" camera I would recommend avoiding the expense of repair or buy another one that works (if you can find a working Petri).

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds as if it just did not complete the exposure cycle, typical of a camera of that age. Generally due to 30+ year old lubricant giving out. Open the back, remove the lens, and using your fingers, gently try to move the cloth shutter curtain toward the rewind side of the camera. That may drop the mirror and release the wind lock, completing the release cycle.

Carl Zeiss (Carl_zeiss)
Tinkerer
Username: Carl_zeiss

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2022 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like the last post I made here.

Is anyone left?

Rick_oleson (Rick_oleson)
Legend
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1368

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2022 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why, sure! How did you make out with the Petri?
: )=

Carl Zeiss (Carl_zeiss)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2022 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Rick-

Just checking in. My previous identity here as Michael Linn and e-mail were not recognized, so I gave it another try. Many FT1000's repaired! Along with some Ciroflexes made here in Delaware, Ohio which you and I discussed many years ago.

Good to hear from you.

-Mike

Rick_oleson (Rick_oleson)
Legend
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1369

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2022 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back!

Carl Zeiss (Carl_zeiss)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2022 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration