Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica D focusing knob Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica D focusing knob « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Citizennouveau
Tinkerer
Username: Citizennouveau

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure how it happened, but my Yashica D's focusing knob seems to have completely disengaged from whatever nut or bolt actually turns and operates the focus. I still get motion from 1 meter - infinity, but the lens plane does not move in and out. Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried (unsuccessfully) to look for instructions on how to remove the knob to try to fix the problem, but it seems I can't figure out how to get the stubborn little thing off. I have film in the camera right now so I'd prefer not to open it up, but if there's no other way to fix it up then I'll sacrifice the roll. TLR gurus, any advice?

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 246

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The center of the focus knob unscrews and under that the knob is hollow. You will see a nut attached to the screw/shaft. If the problem is the nut came off then it should be in there. However if the problem is on the other side where the device is connected to the part that pushes the front panel in and out, that is another problem.

Citizennouveau
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that screw/shaft/nut accessible from the inside of the camera? I couldn't quite make out those 2 little holes for a spanner last night in the semi-dark, but I see now how to unscrew the focus knob. I don't have a spanner and I'm scared to damage the knob unnecessarily. I've decided I'd rather sacrifice the roll of film than the camera if the fix is as simple as opening it up and pushing the 'axle' out. Can I do this or is it better to try and unscrew the knob from the outside first?

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 119

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a "spanner" out of a cut off paper clip to get the little cap off. Then see what is under it per Finnegan's instructions.

Good luck!

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 247

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try unscrewing the thing from outside first. The center of the focus knob is only a decorative cap. If you have the two little hole type cap (some don't have any holes) I use a set of tweezers that have very pointy tips and just spread it open to fit whatever the width is. Once you spin that cap off you see how the knob is attached and there is no risk of light leaks during any of this.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1252

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finnegan is correct - this is accessible only from outside the camera, not from the inside. Unscrew the cap off of the focus knob, remove the nut from inside, turn the shaft to focus the camera correctly to infinity, then set the knob to the infinity position and tighten the nut. This is not an uncommon occurrence in TLRs.

Citizennouveau
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice! I finally had some time today to sit down w/my camera and fix it up. Good as I remember! Thanks again! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration