Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Familiar with Seikosha-MX shutter in ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Familiar with Seikosha-MX shutter in Minolta Autocord ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dxqcanada
Tinkerer
Username: Dxqcanada

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need some help.

I have a number of Minolta Autocords ... one of them is a parts camera so I am documenting it while I repair/restore them.

I have opened up the shutter mechanism for the Seikosha-MX ... and I need to know what areas to lube.

I know the lower section is the gears/spring for the lower shutter speed, and the spring on top is for 1/500 ... wondering about the other areas.

shutter

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 308

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These shutters are designed to run dry without lube. As this shutter reminds me very much on the Synchro Compur you might want to have a look at Rick Oleson's website and his notes on the Synchro Compur here to get the general idea:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html
and the accompaning text which clearly describes where you can (if really necessary after cleaning) apply exactly 2 drops of a very light oil:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/leaf_shutter_cla.htm

Also a big thank you to Rick for sharing his knowledge on his website and here in this forum so generousely.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 69

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 1978, I had purchased a Rollie TLR whishc had served its life and was collecteting dust in a local studio. The camera was not at all in usable condition and my interst was only to study it by dismantleing. I threw away every thing except the shutter and lenses which had some missing elemens.
Yes the sutter is exactly same like the one in your picture. It appears true, like all shutures this should work with out lubrication, but it cerainly needs cleaning to make it free from dust.
The one i hve still is in working condition but one can clearly see the wear and tear around the area where the cocking rack rubs the body.

My shuuter is availble free for any one who wants it for parts of what ever but I live in India.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 228

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Seiko shutter, like the Compurs, does need lubrication to operate properly. When I say lubrication, I am not speaking about any sort of oil. If you don't lubricate the main cocking ring that circles around the lens threads, your Seiko shutter will cause you grief. First, I remove the main cocking ring and completely clean all old lubricant from the ring and the surface that it contacts on the shutter housing. When reinstalling the ring, I put a VERY LIGHT layer of Moly lube on the surfaces. This lubrication should be almost not visible without a close up look at the parts.

Other parts that slide or contact each other also get a VERY LIGHT touch of Moly lube. Problems with the Seiko shutter in the Mamiya RB67 and Koni Omega can be many times traced to dried lubricant on this cocking ring.

Bill

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seikosha-MX is very similar to Synchro Compur MX. I just replaced the broken escapement of an Ansco Karomat Synchro Compur MX with one from an Aires 35 IIIL Seikosha-MX. To my surprise, all speeds are within 1/4 stop. Even the holding screws are interchangeable.

Here is a good link for the Synchro Compur MX shutter: http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/zeiss%20ikonta%20opton.html

Dxqcanada
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, thanks Rick. I did quickly go over his stuff, though I did not catch one of those links.

I sparingly use oil ... I use a syringe to dole out micro drops ... and never near the shutter blades.

Most of my question has to do with the higher speed (springs), which I suspect is in the 10 o'clock area ... just use Naphtha ?

Dxqcanada
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonloo, that was a great link ... very nice illustrations and explanation.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration