Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Inos II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Voigtlander Inos II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Threebythree
Tinkerer
Username: Threebythree

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,

I have got hold of a Voigtlander Inos II, along with a box of bits and pieces and I wondered if anyone could help me put it together from the supplied picture? The difficulty I'm having is attaching the bellows to the front standard, and then to the shutter. I have zero experience with this type of camera and think I may well be missing some pieces, but any advice would be very welcome.

As I understand it, the camera uses one lens attached to the shutter, and a second lens behind this that attaches to the bellows? Is this correct?

Any help greatly received,

kind regards

Simon
Voigtlander Inos II

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 249

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neither of the shutters shown are from an Inos II. The shutter with the cylinders looks like it came from a much older folding camera or plate camera. The other shutter is either for a plate camera or view camera. The shutter for your Inos II is a rim set style Compur (yours are dial set) and the Voigtlander name is scrawled around the top. The lens for an Inos II is a Skopar 105mm F4.5 In any case, attaching a shutter to a camera like that is simple. You put the shutter on the front, pull the bellows up over the back and hold everything on by screwing on the retaining ring. A retaining ring is a thin metal ring with screw threads on the inner side of the ring and, usually, has a pair of opposing notches that are intended for a lens wrench to fit in to tighten the ring on the back of the shutter.

Do the lens components you have in the pic. fit the Compur shutter? Those two chrome looking ones I don't believe would fit. The sort of flat looking one (the left most in the pic.) looks like it might be from one of these shutters. Does the shutter with the double cylinders have glass on its rear end? Give us a list of what is written on the lens elements in the pic. and on the shutter.

Threebythree
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Finnegan - many thanks for your reply. Just knowing that these shutters aren't for this camera has eased my mind!

The two Chrome lenses actually both fit to the Compur shutter. Written on one lense is:

Goerz Dagor F:6.8 Series III No 313368

and on the other:

One for the front and one for the back of the shutter maybe?

Regarding the other shutter, the front lens is an Ernemann Aplanat Symetrical and the flat black lens you reference fits to the back of the shutter and has no writing on it.

Regarding the bellows, there is a threaded disc with notches inside the front which rotates freely - you can see it in the picture above. I'm guessing this is the retaining ring that screws to the correct shutter?

It's all making sense now - I just need to get hold of the right shutter and lens.

Thanks for your help

Simon

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 309

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simon,
please note that when looking for a lens and shutter that the INOS 2 was made for two different film formats 6x9 cm and 6.5x11 cm. Those also used different focal lengths for the lenses.
The 6x9 version uses 10.5 cm (105 mm) lenses while the 6.5x11 used a focal length of 11.8 cm (118 mm).
Here you can see them side by side:
http://www.schoebels-voigtlaender-archiv.de/Bild0605.html
(Scroll down a little - text is in German though)
It also came with two different shutters, the Embezet shutter or the Compur shutter.
The Compur was the better one. Shutter and lens were by that time often the only difference between a cheaper and a more expensive version of the same model. So also two different lenses were available: The Skopar and the Heliar.
So the Inos 2 (both formats) were available (from cheaper to expensive) with
Skopar lens and Embezet shutter
Skopar lens and Compur shutter
Heliar lens and Compur shutter

Just found another site in English showing the different models:
http://voigtlander.pagesperso-orange.fr/anglais/inostousA.htm

Best regards
Martin

Finnegan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 250

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, you have a matched set on the Dagor. Put the one with writing on the front and the other on the back of the Compur. You didn't mention the focal length so I can't say what format it is for. The Dagor is a well known lens and many people like them.

It seems the other lens should be on the back of the double cylindered shutter.

Threebythree
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Dagor is f6.8 at 6.5 inches (assume its American made then?) and looks to be in very good condition.

Johnnyh
Tinkerer
Username: Johnnyh

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so at 6.5 inches = 165mm to the nearest mm the Dagor lens is not the correct one for your camera.

This link shows a Voigtlander that I once had with a 114mm Heliar, which is pretty close to the 118mm specified above for the 6.5x11 version.(I assume that is yours is the 6.5x11 version, from the photo posted it looks to be the one).

[[Paste the whole link to your browser, the page isn't picking up the full code correctly]].

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43334883@N03/4860015196/in/set-72157624526810081/

You need to establish the necessary dimensions when looking for a replacement lens (and shutter if you want/need to go for the 'correct' rimset type).

For example, with my Compur/Heliar combination:-

the mounting flange fitted a 30mm hole in the lens standard,

the rear cell screw thread (outside diameter on the cell itself) was ~26.83mm, the inside diameter on the shutter rear being ~26.46mm (specimens vary a bit in the second decimal place from lens to lens and shutter to shutter, thinking not necessarily confined to Voigtlander lenses),

the front cell screw thread (outside diameter on the cell itself) was ~29.38mm, the inside diameter on the shutter rear being ~28.85mm (specimens vary a bit in the second decimal place from lens to lens and shutter to shutter, thinking not necessarily confined to Voigtlander lenses),

NB in later years, you are more likely to find Compur Standard Size 0 shutters with the specification stabilised such that front and rear cell mounting diameters are the same, defined as "M29.5-0.5".

Distance between front and rear cell mounting faces should always be 20mm for Size 0.

Threebythree
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 05:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's actually the 6 x 9 Inos...

Johnnyh
Tinkerer
Username: Johnnyh

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I was fooled by the perspective (is my excuse) ;-)

That helps because spares should be much easier to find, there are loads of 105mm lenses around. I've even got a F/4.5 Skopar in Compur, that came from a similar camera, in the spares box. It looks just like the one in the http://www.schoebels-voigtlaender-archiv.de/Bild0605.html link. not trying to push a sale, just saying ;-) .

Threebythree
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Johnny, you have a private message :-)

Finnegan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 252

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your Dagor will fit/cover a 4x5 camera like the press type cameras or view cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration