Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord 2B mirror and viewing lens... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord 2B mirror and viewing lens focus adjustment. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Novembersierra
Tinkerer
Username: Novembersierra

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!
First of all, this is a great forum with a lot of good informations!
I recently purchased a 1939 Rolleicord 2B, in far from perfect shape, but fell in love with it.

here it is

Now to the problem: the taking lens and the markings on the focusing knob are very close to perfection (I don't have a ground glass to confirm, just used matte tape on film plane)but the focus on the screen is way off.

I searched all the web to find a solution, and read that the steps should be:
1)taking lens precisely to infinity
2)focusing knob on infinity
3)adjust the viewing lens accordingly

I definitley have a problem with step 3: how do I adjust it? It seems firmly seated, won't turn and I don't want to risk breaking something by forcing it! Is there something I should do, like unscrewing something under the front panel (I've already removed the junky non-original leather)

I also checked the mirror housing and found that one side seems broken (RED circle in picture, while BLUE is the good one) so the mirror was sitting higher on one side (pushed up by the copper thing you can see in the image but not blocked from going up by the missing part).

So I removed the copper thing, put the mirror back inside and then blocked it in there with little double sided adhesive tape.
Not cool but can't find a better solution. At least now I see a clear and crisp image in the focusing screen, while before it was all like double-edged and harder to focus.

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to focus precisely even without the copper 'thing' below the mirror, my thought is that since I still have to calibrate the viewing lens there will be no problem but you're the expert ones :-)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really in love with this camera and can't wait to use it, please help me!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1253

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like you've found the cause of your problem: the mirror is held in place by 3 tabs, one at the bottom and one at each side, and apparently one of them is broken in your camera. The copper thing is a spring to hold the mirror up firmly against the bottom of the tabs. You can glue it in place as you have done - it needs to be as close as possible to its original position at the bottom of these tabs, and the same height from one side to the other. Reinstall the hood and screen. Next, you adjust the focus of the viewing lens to correct for any difference from the original mirror position:

The closest notes that I have are from the Rolleicord IV, and not all models are identical, so this may not exactly match your camera: you need to remove the metal fascia from the front where you have already removed the leather. It comes off in 2 pieces, one is the outer frame and one is the surround around the lenses. Now look for a set screw securing the viewing lens (in the IV, this is on top of the lens). Loosen this set screw and adjust the viewing lens until the image on your groundglass is correct in the center of the screen. In case you may not have your mirror perfectly level, use this same area of the screen for focusing when taking photographs.

rolleicord IV viewing lens notes

Novembersierra
Tinkerer
Username: Novembersierra

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks a lot for the informations!
I followed you advice and removed the two-piece fascia, removed the outer one and finally gained access to the screw securing the viewing lens, right above the viewing lens like in your description (BLUE in pic)

I removed the screw to let the lens as free as possible but nevertheless it still won't move.
I tried to rotate the lens applying hand force on the RED part but the lens seems stuck there, probably because of its age.
What should I do now?
thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration