Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Glenn Middleton??? is this right... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Glenn Middleton??? is this right... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

G3bill
Tinkerer
Username: G3bill

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was confused, is this post backwards or were more plastic parts used in early models and canon found they didn't last then went to metal? Seems like they would have used metal then cut corners with plastic? (maybe I'm reading it wrong?)

From old thread by Glenn:
Battery problem could be dirty insulators on the battery test/finder illumination switch.Whatever was done to damper,the problem was not apparent on the replacement 259689-I purchased the camera as scrap when I took early retirement! All my others are 3xxxxx to 8xxxxx,these have more metal parts in the wind on etc.From 1xxxxxx there seems to be an ever increasing substitution of plastic for metal in the internals.Not saying this is bad,but it is the obvious way that Canon managed to bring the price down in real terms over the life of A1.I did post a strip-down instruction for A1,I will look for it and give you details later today.It is 03.30 in morning,bed calls!!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 404

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you are reading it wrong. Count the number of digits in the serial numbers.

G3bill
Tinkerer
Username: G3bill

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you got me! 3-8(5x's) 1(6x's) Saw all those x's and got dizzy:-). Well its good to know cause I don't think much of plastic for gears. Will be sure to check ser. no. on my next A-1...Mine is 205xxx :-)
I have a old station wagon that has stripped plastic gears in the power window motor and only one window still working:-( Another project not finished...B

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1041

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the plastic was to keep the price of the A1 below that of the competition.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration