Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Problem with Leica Hektor 135 f 4,5 s... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Problem with Leica Hektor 135 f 4,5 screw mount. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrelocat
Tinkerer
Username: Andrelocat

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

My name is Andrea, I'm italian.

I have a problem with the set fire of my Hektor.. the image in the rangefinder, to distant subjects, is not aligned with either the ring to infinity....

How can I disassembly the lens?

And can I repair this?

Thank you, and excuse me about my terrible English...

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 431

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum, Andrea. I don't have much experience with LTM stuff, but I think your problem is more related to the rangefinder needing adjustment, not the lens needing repair. Unless of course this is the only lens you are having this problem with. Do your other lenses correspond with the rangefinder settings?

PF

Andrelocat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.

No, this is the only lens with this problem....I think that the rangefinder cam moved, and this creates problems to focus....

Thank's.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1043

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the lens been owned by you for a long time and suddenly stopped focussing correctly, or have you just purchased it? Just trying to work out if something has come loose and slipped or if the lens has been assembled wrongly. If it is just something coming loose you should be able to correct it with a good set of repair instructions - search the web and see if there are any repair notes for this lens. On the other hand if you purchased the lens with this fault, I would take it to a good repair shop as there may be other issues with it.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 291

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the focusing ring indicate the proper limits of focus when taken to its limits (in other words, does the infinity mark line up right when it's focused to its farthest setting, and the closest mark when at its closest)? If not, then it might be a simple problem with the focusing ring having gotten shifted, and slightly loosening the ring screws (just a little) should allow you to turn it back by going to a limit, then a bit past, until the lines line up. If the reading stops before you get close enough, or goes past infinity, focus close and then some to return it to the mark. If it does not go all the way to infinity, focus to infinity and keep turning the ring until the marks line up. Loosen the screws only enough to allow some movement, not enough for the ring to come loose or shift forward and back.

If the focus is truly off - in other words, if the ring lines up but the lens itself is not focusing on infinity - then you definitely need to get deeper, especially you bought it this way or know of some damage. It's very easy to put a lens together wrong. Most focusing threads are "multi-start" threads: there will be several places to start screwing it together, but only one is right.

A Leica lens is rather expensive, so I'd take it somewhere. Especially if your Leica is a II or III without a removable back. Adjusting a lens on one of these is very daunting, if not downright impossible.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1255

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Andrea:

The rangefinder cam in the 135mm Hektor is adjustable to fix this problem. If you look inside the back end of the lens, you will find an adjusting screw - an eccentric cam moves the rangefinder follower cam forward and back to adjust it:
135 hektor

Andrelocat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the problem started because to facilitate the focusing ring, which had become a little hard, I rotated several times until it stops. first the focus was perfect.

anyway, thanks for the drawing. Tomorrow I try to remove it.

Soon.

Andrelocat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if I understand correctly, I have to adjust the screw "rf adjust".tighten or loosen?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1044

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, thought you would have some info on this lens.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1256

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I am remembering it correctly, the screw holds an eccentric cam .... you would loosen the screw, rotate the cam to adjust the position of the rangefinder follower shoe, and then tighten again. It's been a long time, though, you may have to take a look for yourself and figure out how the parts interact.

Andrelocat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank's Rick. Tomorrow I try.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration